Chapter 12

Disclaimer: I don't own anything associated with the Beetlejuice franchise, nor do I make any money from this. The only thing I own is Lucy and Irene and I'm okay with that. The rest I just borrow for my own twisted amusement.

Chapter 12

Fall was swiftly upon them as the leaves began to turn various shades of orange, red and yellow. They littered the lawns and sidewalks here and there and the sound of footfalls and crunching echoed everywhere.

This was the time of year in Connecticut that Lydia loved, and it was prime for capturing some beautiful pieces. Now that the desire to whip out her camera had returned, the young mother wanted to get back in the swing of things. She had to say that it was nice to feel the weight of the device in her hands and to hear the snap of the shutter once again. Her lips twisted into a frown as her thoughts moved to the reason she had stopped to begin with. Lydia couldn't believe that she had allowed a certain douchebag to rob her of something so important. Never would she let anyone have that much power over her again.

A sigh escaped as she chased away her thoughts and focused on the leaves that danced across her lawn. It was a gorgeous scene and had Lydia wishing that she could slip outside to capture the moment. The urge would have to wait though as it was an appointment day and the first time that they would try to hear their baby's heartbeat.

A sudden rush of excitement overshadowed the impulse and one of her hands trailed down to her abdomen and cradled it lightly, while a smile graced her features. They were going to hear their baby's heartbeat! The elation grew, and the smile on her face widened as she caressed her lower belly then turned her dark eyes from the window to her husband and midwife. She watched as the two squabbled with one another over the workings of the medical equipment.

The silver-haired midwife had her hands on her hips as she questioned the clearly annoyed poltergeist. "Are you sure this is going to work Geuse?"

The dead man just rolled his green eyes and huffed loudly. "I told ya that the electronics are juiced, Irene. They should work for ya just like they did when you were a breather."

Irene sent the pregnant woman sitting on the table a raised brow then softly snorted and thumbed in the direction of the fetal doppler. "He says that this thing will work, so why don't you lie down Lydia and we will see."

Betelgeuse looked at the dead woman in outrage and harshly barked out his words. "Oi, it will work woman! Why does everyone question my judgement? I know what my power can and can't do!"

The midwife scoffed as she made her way to the hand-held doppler. "Your past actions say otherwise, so if it blows ups I'm holding you accountable, Geuse."

The poltergeist ran a hand roughly through his messy hair and stomped his foot in frustration. "Fuckin'-A, Nothin' is gonna blow up! I'm not gonna put no one in danger, so don't be overly dramatic."

She turned to face the couple and planted a hand on her hip once again while she raised her brows. "Who says I'm being overly dramatic? I'd say it's more like realistic. Now are you going to let me do my job or are you going to continue to interfere?"

"I ain't interfering with nothin'." Betelgeuse swept his hands in front of him and mockingly bowed. "Continue on, Quicksilver." Irene glared and pinched her lips together as she shook her head at him. The practitioner went to snag the doppler then made her way back to her waiting patient.

Lydia giggled at the two and watched as Irene turned to her with a sigh and a small smile before she spoke. "Okay back to the appointment." Irene approached Lydia and explained what may or may not happen when they do the doppler. "Please know that there is a chance that we will not catch the heartbeat this time around. If we don't find it today, then we will try again at our next appointment. Okay?"