Prologue

Even though the bitter cold kissed my bare skin, I felt nothing. Gentle and pure snow that coated the wooded floor was thick, so thick that it came above our ankles. My sister held my hand as we made our way to Sweetwater River. Our skin was already as white as our dresses by the time we came upon the frozen water. Ignoring the cracks, we stepped forward, embracing our destinies, ready for what was to come.

"You ready?" Cheryl asked me, turning to face me for the first time since we set off from Thornhill.

"I'm with you." With those three words, spoken between siblings on the ice, we dropped to our knees and began pounding on the only thing keeping us alive. Together, our combined force sent multiple cracks through the ice. We were so close to being with Jason again.

Behind us I heard the calls of our names, but we were too close to turn back now; this was our only option. They got louder but neither of us moved nor did we turn to them.

"Cheryl!"

"Cynthia!"

"Stop! What are you doing!"

The sound of cracking ice halted our actions. We knew we had been found. I locked eyes with my sister, our tears identical; our pain shared.

"Cheryl!"

"Cynthia!"

"Cheryl please!" Veronica called. My sister stood up slowly as I continued to relentlessly pound on the ice. If they made it to us before it broke, everything would be for nothing. Cheryl stood and turned to face the small party of rescuers on the bank. Why was it always them that showed up? Why couldn't it have been Jason?

"Cynthia!" That voice caused my head to snap up and meet his desperate gaze. His eyes were pleading and terrified. Even through my tears I could read his expression from there.

"Come to the shore and we'll figure this out together okay?" Veronica called again. I stood to join my sister, not taking my eyes off the dancing cracks beneath us until I stood right beside her. My hand found hers.

"Thia! I can't lose you! I love you..." The boy in the beanie pleaded. We both sent the group a sad smile. Then rushing bone-chilling water enveloped us.