11

Cynthia's POV

A million questions were racing through my head as I pulled Jughead from the room. We walked down the hall, planning to join the dinner party downstairs. Before we reached the stairs, my mother ran into us. She had a crying Cheryl held by the arm. She ripped my hand away from Jughead's and started pulling me away from him.

"Go home, Jughead," I shouted, tears returning to my eyes as I saw his helpless expression. He couldn't save me from my own mother. I fought against my mother as I pushed Jughead towards the stairs, whispering that I would be alright.

Our mother pushed me and Cheryl into her room, pushing us towards the bed, fuming at the audacity of her daughters.

"We had too, it's what Jason would have wanted." Cheryl defended. Mother turned to us, seething with rage.

"No, Cheryl. As always, it's what you both wanted!" She hissed, hitting both Cheryl and I with her scarf. We looked up at her, our faces stained with tears. All we wanted was to say goodbye to Jay-Jay and she wouldn't let us. She left us no choice.

"I hope you enjoyed yourselves. Because after tonight, there will be no River Vixens. And if not for the fact no one would have you," Mother growled, grabbing Cheryl's chin as she flinched, "I'd be shipping you off to boarding school in Europe tonight." Letting go of Cheryl's chin, I thought that I could shrink away and become invisible. When her eyes of flame turned to me, I took a sharp, short intake of breath.

"As for you, there will be no more seeing that delinquent while you live under this roof!" If she had said anything else, then I would have stayed silent. But because she chose those words- chose to insult Jughead- I spoke back to her.

"He's not a delinquent!" The four words escaped my mouth before I could stop them. Mother slapped me across the face. She had never hit her child with such force before. With teary eyes, I stood up, standing face to face with my mother, Cheryl taking my hand behind me in support.

"I will still be seeing Jughead and he will come and go as he pleases, mother. Because if you don't allow it, then I will leave. Could you handle the scandal of a kicking out your own daughter?" I spat. When all she did was glare at me, I pushed past her and left my room. That was the only time I had spoken back to my mother, and the only time, realistically, that I ever would. No one on this Earth was going to stop me from seeing Jughead Jones. He was mine. And I was undeniably his.

Every town has one. The house on the haunted hill all the kids avoid. Now that Jason was buried in the earth, it would only be a matter of time until something poisonous bloomed in that long, cold shadow cast by his death. Whatever grew in the rich black soil of the Blossoms' garden, always found its way to the town. Whether it was murder or love, or secrets, or lies.

Fear. It's the most basic, the most human, emotion. As kids, we're afraid of everything. The dark, the bogeyman under the bed, and we pray for morning, for those monsters to go away. Though they never do, not really. Just ask Jason Blossom.

I walked downstairs early the next morning. I had texted Jughead early that morning inviting him to dinner, saying he needed to meet my family sooner or later. It was mostly to spite my mom, who had given me a bruised cheek that I concealed with makeup. By 7:00, I was walking down the stairs to the front door to greet Jughead, dressed in a tight black dress with white collar.

On the breakfast menu this morning was pancakes, with a side of harsh glares. Jughead sat opposite Cheryl and next to me. Dad was already in his office sorting out paperwork, where-as mother was sat judging Jughead, not that he took any notice.

"So, Jughead," Mom began, not being able to hold in her questions any longer. It surprised me how much her and Mrs Cooper didn't get on. They were both judgemental people and both hated to be disrespected by their children. "I suppose we have you to thank for Cynthia's late-night adventures away from the safe gates of Thornhill." Jughead turned towards her, not knowing how to answer. To save him the trouble of trying to think of a reply that would be accepted, I jumped in.

"Actually, he doesn't ask to meet me there. It's merely a happy accident." I smiled, a little too fake for this early hour. Cheryl grinned at me. She was more than happy to play the 'Golden Girl' but if she welcomed my relationship with Jughead, then our mom will as well. Trying to hide it, Jughead returned to eating, not wanting to get in between the two of us so that mom would like him, but also wanting to stand up for himself.

"Relax, darling, I'm just making conversation." She replied, far too sweetly as she stirred the sugar in her morning tea. She was still dressed in her night gown, irritated to have guests over when she wasn't fully dressed in clothes that would make the queen jealous.

"Do you guys have a bathroom I could use?" Jughead asked, wanting to get out of the awkwardness he felt in the middle of. I stood up, saying I would lead him. When we were out of sight, he kissed my lipstick covered lips. Parting from our kiss, I saw a small red stain. I giggled in his arms and reached up to wipe it off. He pulled my head forward, pushing me against the wall of the hall, so that our foreheads rested together. We didn't need to make out in that moment to express our adoration to each other. A simple look said more than we ever could.

A fake cough sounded from the hall ad our heads whipped to the side. Cheryl smiled at us, standing with her bag on her shoulder.

"Come on lovebirds, wouldn't want to be late." Jughead pulled away, throwing his arm over my shoulder so we were still close as I pecked his cheek. We passed my mom on the way out as she watched us with a fake smile and eyes of daggers.

Another fun fact about fear? Sometimes it grows up with you. Or it curls up inside of you, tightens around your guts. Each fall, Riverdale High hosts a variety show. This event is no mere student frolic.

It wasn't until I was leaving school that day, excited to see Jughead after a day apart. That I got a message saying he couldn't come because he had somewhere to be with Betty. I responded with its fine, but inside, I was worried. What if she liked him? Would she try something? I hadn't seen him all day because of different classes and being with Cheryl at lunch. I didn't know what to do. I could have done some studying, even though I was miles ahead in my subjects. Pop's was always something I did with Jug, even when we weren't speaking, he would always be there, so going alone didn't seem like an option. Even that evening he didn't reply. By the variety show, I was panicking. Cheryl had to hold my hands still as Archie Andrews entered the stage.

His words captured me as he sung. It was the first time I heard him, and I got Goosebumps. It was making me think of things I didn't want to think about. Yes, my family had more money that Jughead's, but we were no less crazy, probably more so. He had so much heart, and even more love to give. Compared with me, he deserved the world. He deserved everything that I couldn't give him. Jughead needed the perfect girl-next-door type that wouldn't get upset over silly things. Just as the song was ending, I pulled away from Cheryl. I was shaking, and I couldn't see straight. I knew that I needed to leave.

My heart was racing. My lungs weren't working. I pushed past people. They weren't moving quick enough. Blurs flashed through my eyes. I was sure everyone could see my heart beat. I hadn't even gotten out of the row when people stood up cheering. The sound was silent. I couldn't hear. Short gasps filled my ears. They were mine. The walls were getting closer. I couldn't leave quick enough.