18

Polly had become a lovely edition to our family, she was kind, quiet and obeyed mothers every command. It was a blessing to hear that Polly was having twins. That would mean Jason's children would grow up together and loved. If the twins would be anything like us Blossoms, they would grow up closer than most lovers. Things for the Blossom family seemed to be going well so far, with neither parent making a scene and Cheryl being generally nice.

Cheryl and I made our way to the Andrew's household so that she could drop off her gift for Archie and I could invite Jughead to our family meal. Cheryl was the one to knock, wanting to make a good impression. Fred opened the door, shocked to see Cheryl on his door step. The Blossom reputation meant everyone knew us.

"Mr Andrews. Nice haircut." I greeted. Fred laughed when he saw me, saying that Jughead was in the dining room. I hurried in, telling Archie that my sister was here to see him, making him jump up and leave almost immediately.

Jughead pulled me into his arms, hugging me closely.

"My family are having this meal, they call it the Maple Banquet, tomorrow, and I need a date." I stated, nuzzling my nose into the side of his face. I saw the mischievous smirk on his face grow. He started giving my date suggestions. Reggie. Kevin. Moose. Each name he gave, I shook my head in response.

"I have no other suggestions then, Princess." He shrugged.

"Will you be my date, Jug?" I asked, our foreheads resting on each other, "you can even stay over." I added, practically begging him to stay. He connected our lips, pulling me closer.

"If you insist." He laughed.

The Maple Banquet came around quickly. Jughead had arrived dressed in the suit he wore to Jay-Jay's funeral. I was dressed in a simple, elegant evening dress, my hair pulled in a braid behind me. Jughead and I sat to the right of my mother, Archie and Cheryl on the left on my dad. The candle-lit dining room made the room have a more intimate atmosphere and somehow, all sat around the table, we didn't look that different from any normal family. Our low chatter was brought to a stop my dad stood up. Every head turned to him.

"We were tested this year. As a town, as a company. Mainly, as a family," Jughead rested his hand on my thigh in comfort. "And it may not have been Jason's hand that staked the maple this year, but it was the hand of hope." He turned to Cheryl, proving to her that he was proud of her. We all clapped him as he sat down, and the music started again.

I watched him walk off slightly with Archie, talking to him. My dad had never once spoken to Jughead or done the 'protective father' speech. It was like he only cared for one daughter and it wasn't me. That morning, I had told him Jughead was coming to the Maple Banquet and he just nodded, still reading over the business paper. I told him we were together, and he replied that's nice, clearly not listening. Cheryl looked over at me, smiling sadly. So much for a normal family.

Polly cut their conversation short, beginning to dance with Archie. Father stormed over to Cheryl, grabbing her arm and taking her out of the room. Jughead turned my face to him.

"Let's dance." He stated, grabbing my waist and leading me over to where everyone was dancing. I was shocked that he was going to dance, as I knew he avoided every school dance there had ever been. He took my hand, his other arm going around my waist as mine rested on his shoulder.

"You hate dancing." I commented, knowing I was right. He chuckled, spinning me around before drawing me close.

"You need it." We continued dancing for a while before I told Jughead that I needed to go and see if Cheryl was all right. He nodded, sitting down.

I saw Cheryl run off outside, and I quickly followed her. She was standing by the outside pool, the reflection from the water casting ripples across her features. When I reached her, I wrapped my arms around her. Behind me, Archie had come outside, Jughead following him out. When he arrived, he asked if she was ok.

"What did my dad say to you?" She asked, "That everyone thinks I'm a train wreck?" Archie couldn't answer. Cheryl nodded, knowing the answer already. Jughead and wrapped his arms around me as we stood observing the pair.

"Jason was the golden boy. Cynthia is the innocent one that doesn't deserve this family. But me? People hate me, Archie." Hearing my sister talk like this was horrible. She was always so confident but not anymore. It was true about Jason. He was the one that our parents truly loved, and it was common knowledge that they only wanted one child. They wanted a son to leave the business to but nothing else. Everyone was surprised when they chose to keep all of us.

"And at school that's fine, whatever. But this is my family." I knew how she felt. We had always been the last choices. In pictures, Jason took pride of place, being in every single one. He used to say it was because he was the only boy, therefore he had to be in the middle, but deep down, we all knew he was the favourite.

"Let's leave them alone." Jughead whispered in my ear. He guided me back inside, back to the watching eyes of my family. I turned to him, taking in his features. He still wore his beanie on his head, but the hair that fell out from underneath made him look dark and mysterious.

"What Cheryl said was right, we were never good enough for our family." I said looking down. If I wasn't good enough for my family, then how could I be good enough for Jughead? I always managed to disappoint my family, never doing exactly what they wanted of me.

"It doesn't matter if you aren't good enough for them, because you are perfect for me." He whispered, connecting our lips. Each time that happened, the butterflies started. We had done this, hundreds of times before, but somehow, each one was different.

That night we lay together, holding each other. In that time of darkness, our warm embrace fought away our monsters. It gave us that sense of belonging that we both longed for. It made us feel loved when our families failed to do that. As much as my family were similar to fairy-tale villains, Jughead was my hero, he was lifting me away from the cruel Blossom image and into my own. He was making me my own person. But I didn't know how quickly that would all fall apart.

Winter had come early to Riverdale. Brutal and unforgiving. But it would be nothing compared to the storm that was gathering. A storm of chaos named Cheryl Blossom.

l heavier asc!*