14

Jughead's POV

The police station was cold. I glared at the table in front of me, just wanting to be let out. Keller was talking to me about the burned car that Betty and I had led Keller to. He spoke about me trying to burn down the Riverdale Elementary School.

"I was playing with matches. And that's a pretty tenuous connection for a sheriff." I argued back. I can remember what happened perfectly. Cynthia and I found a box of matches in the playground and we went inside the classroom to play again. She thought it would be a good idea to have a campfire and I agreed, not only because I thought it would be fun, but because I lover her even then. We ripped a few pages out of our books and put them together. Before we could actually get a match successfully lit, the teacher came over. One thing led to another and I was stuck in a detention centre after taking the fall for both of us.

"Principle Weatherbee also allowed me to have look at your school records. You have a long and rough history, Mr Jones. Bullied a lot."

"Yeah, my name is Jughead." I stated. It should have been obvious as to the cause of my bullying. Having Cynthia now, made everything better for me. Having Sheriff Keller talk about me like this, made me appreciate her even more. She stuck by me. She didn't care if she people saw her holding my hand or talking to me, instead she embraced it. She never judged me because of my dad or where we lived.

"By the football team, in particular. I can only assume that would have included Jason Blossom," He was wrong however. Jason never did anything to me, although was present when some things happened. Although, I suspect that had something to do with Cynthia.

"Tell me your whereabouts on the week of July 11th."

"This is crazy. You I--" I couldn't say it. Sheriff Keller thought I was actually capable of murder. I wasn't a violent person, let alone one capable of murder.

"Jughead, a kid like you, raised on the wrong side of the tracks by a deadbeat dad, bullied by kids like Jason Blossom, I mean, who wouldn't want to lash out at that?"

"I wouldn't kill my girlfriends brother. I'm not talking to you anymore. I want a lawyer." Keller shut the file that belonged to me and stood up, leaving me alone. All I wanted was to have Cynthia in the room. She would help me. She would calm me and make me feel as if I had someone on my side.

Cynthia POV

Finally, after hours of waiting I was allowed in to see Jughead. I ran in and hugged him straight away, breathing in his scent to stop myself crying.

"I didn't do it, Cynthia." He stated into my hair. I mumbled that I knew he wouldn't into his chest, refusing to let him go. His eyes were wide and red, he thought that he was going to jail for this. I held his head in my hands, making him look at me. Once our eyes met, he pulled me in to a long kiss, trying to make sure I was real and not leaving him.

"I don't wanna become a scapegoat." He whispered, his forehead resting on mine.

"I'm never letting that happen." I whispered back. "I won't be leaving until they understand you wouldn't do that, Jug. I'm getting you out of here. I'd pay bail myself, but my mom has cancelled all my cards after –" Jughead cut me off by kissing me, pulling back with his eyes closed and our noses touching.

"Is my dad here yet?" He whispered. I shook my head, pulling him closer to show that it didn't matter FP didn't turn up. I was still there, and I wasn't going anywhere.

Fred Andrews had provided Jughead with an alibi, getting him out of jail. We walked out, Jughead gripping hard on my hand, like it was a lifeline. With my other hand, I wrapped it around his arm. Jughead didn't deserve the life he got. He was the kindest and most loyal person I knew, and I couldn't bring myself to think of what I would do without him. People say that high school relationships don't last, but in Riverdale they only grow stronger with time.

"Jughead!" FP shouted, and I felt my boyfriend tense and glare at the sight of him. "Sorry, I came as soon as I got your messages." Fred and Archie moved away from Jughead to allow him to talk with his dad. FP was so drunk last night that he couldn't get up early enough to hear his son had been taken into custody. I was almost as angry and disappointed with FP as Jughead was. He blamed low battery on his phone, but everyone knew what the real reason was. His eyes were still red, and his stance showed that not all the alcohol was out of his system. When he asked what happened, Jughead replied, it's fine now.

"Mr Andrews took care of it." I added. Jughead squeezed my hand, subtly pulling me behind him of his dad couldn't get angry at me. I felt like the young girl about to get hit again.

"What crap did they accuse you of in there, huh? Killing the privileged brat's brother?" Jughead looked down, I wrapped my arms around him from behind while FP continued to rave about Keller accusing him. Fred stopped him from storming into to police station thankfully. That caused him to shout about Jughead being his son. I knew Jughead was getting more embarrassed by the second and held him tighter. FP pushed past Fred, coming to pass Jughead and I. Jug moved me with his right hand and stopped his dad with his left.

"Don't make things worse." He growled. This was the most hurt I had ever heard Jughead. He could usually hide his emotions, but standing outside the police station, stopping his dad from making a scene, he was the most vulnerable. The whisper of please, seemed to sober his dad up more than any other word that could have been said. With his dad's nod, Jughead let him go.

"You coming home with me?" FP asked, beginning to stagger away from Jughead.

"He—He can stay with us, Mr Jones. We already offered." Archie told him, while Jughead turned around to face his dad who was nearly in tears, much like Juggie himself. FP asked Jughead if that's what he wanted.

"I'll – I'll go with you, dad. I tried not to listen as FP spoke to his son. But I heard the promise the drunk made to his son. I watched the exchange that ended with a hug. FP walked off, leaving a teary Jughead behind. I immediately walked over to him, putting my hand on his face and his wrapped around my waist. He put his arm back across my shoulder and we began to walk home.

I was on my way, along with Cheryl to see Polly, Jughead as well, but as far as our parent knew, I was there to see Polly. I was dressed in a long sleeved, rose embroidered black dress that stopped mid-thigh, showing off my legs and heels. Cheryl was the one that wanted to talk to Polly, so when we entered Pops diner, she went straight for Polly where as I went for Jughead. He was sat on the counter, his legs dangling over the edge. I stoop between his legs, kissing his lips, silently asking if he was OK. He nodded, we both looked to watch Cheryl and Polly.

"I'm so sorry about Jason. I know how much you both loved him." Polly looked over at me as well as I smiled slightly at her. Jughead kissed my bare neck in comfort, resting his chin on my shoulder. "He always talked about how much he loved his sisters." I closed my eyes, controlling the tears as I fought them. Jughead sensed my discomfort and pulled me closer to his chest, his arms around my stomach as he was behind me, so I could see Cheryl and Polly. I smiled at him, always knowing when I need him and what I needed him to do.

"Where are your parents, Cheryl?" Betty asked.

"You have to leave. Now. My parents. I don't think they want to help you." Cheryl rushed out, clearly seeing that Polly wasn't the enemy. She, and the unborn baby, were the last legacy we had of Jason and we both wanted them to be safe.

"They want you out of the picture Polly. It's not safe for you. It's not safe for Jay-Jay's baby." I said, holding on to Jugheads arms wrapped around me. Veronica offered Polly, a place to stay and everyone soon filed out of the diner. I kissed Jughead, saying I had to stay at Thornhill before my parents decided to chain me to the walls. Jughead told me he would be rooming with Archie and to go there if I needed him. I wished his dad luck for tomorrow, and he said he just hoped he kept his promise. I left. Back to the dark shadow that was Thornhill Mansion.

Hope. A word so close to "home," and as tricky. As much as we wanted Jason's killer caught, and the town, our home, to feel safe again, with every day that passed, our hoped dimmed more and more. There's that old cliched saying: "It's darkest before the dawn." But sometimes, there's just darkness.