Psychotic Roomate

I woke up around 4 am by a loud crash of thunder. I  felt something warm against my side. My eyes flickered over the body next to me. I would've freaked out until I remembered what happened last night. Trying not awake him, I slowly moved away from him. He stirred a bit but then settled down once more.

  I walked into the kitchen and grabbed a couple of eggs and Bacon strips from the fridge. I flinched as the grease from the bacon popped. "WHATCHA COOKING VINCENT!!" I almost shit myself as Akki screamed into my ear. He looked at me with child-like eyes. If anyone saw him, they'd think I was the oldest. Then again I couldn't blame him. After all, he spent his entire childhood learning how to kill. We ate breakfast at 4:30 in the morning.

  I was surprised to see Akki awake this damn early. "Vincent?" He said as he put a hand on my should, causing me to flinch. "You ok?" I looked him then dropped to the floor as another loud crash of thunder scared me. My hands covered my ears as I began to shake and cry. "Hey, hey. You're gonna be ok Vincent. It's all right. It's just a loud noise. You're safe with me. I'll always protect you." I felt weird when Akki said this. I felt loved. My eyes were watery as I looked up at Akki who had a very sincere but serious look on his face. Now he looks like the oldest. He held out his hand for me. I thought for a moment and took it. "I promise you're safe with me." He held out his pinky and I immediately did feel safe.

  I ended up sleeping with Akki on the couch. It felt different. To me it didn't feel brotherly but I pushed the thought away. He's your brother and a psychopath, was all i could think about. This time I was woken up by a loud bang, and it sounded nothing like thunder. I freaked out as I noticed Akki wasn't there. My heart began to race when the noise came from upstairs.

  I walked up the stairs very slowly, afraid something, namely Akki, was gonna jump out. I noticed wet footprints in front up my bedroom door and coming up the stairs. "Akki?" I called out, sounding more afraid then I should. No response came from the other side of the door. "I'm coming in." I warned before slowly opening the door.

  Akki stood there with a sheepish expression on his face as I stared at the dresser he knocked over trying to see in the dark after he got out of the shower. I sighed in relief as he face palmed. "Why didn't you answer me?" I asked almost giggling. He shifted a bit from where he was standing. "I didn't want you to get mad." He said with a very childish pouty face. I couldn't help but think he looked really cute. I shook my head as I pushed the thought away. What's wrong with me? I smiled at him and patted his head. "Its ok Akki, its just a 100 pound dresser. Nothing these muscles can't handle." As I said the last part he started laughing. It felt nice to talk to Akki like this. It was like my whole life I was missing something and he completed that hole. Well technically I was. I never even knew I had a brother, much less an older one. Granted him being like a child.

  As soon as it was nine and I knew the local Starbucks was opened, I dragged Akki with me. He seemed confused as I ordered him an iced coffee. "What's this?" He said as he took a sip. I immediately regretted the decision. He was so hyper for the rest of the day, I even took him to the park. Which actually was very funny to watch as he chased little kids around. I spent the whole day with Akki, showing him what the town has to offer.

  As we drove home he looked uneasy. "What's wrong?" I said as I pulled into the drive way. He ignored the question and kept staring out the window. "Akki?"

"Hmm?"

"What's wrong?" I asked a second time.

"Nothing. Well actually there is something wrong but its not really wrong." He said looking at his lap.

"Well you can tell me."

"I'm glad I found you." He said wrapping his arms around my neck and hugging me tightly. I smiled a bit before I hugged him back. "It's been so hard without dad for me. I wake up every night thinking tonights the night I get taken away and sentenced to death. But since I managed to find you, that nightmare disappeared. Today was the best day I had in my entire life." He looked at me with tear filled eyes. They were happy tears, but I still felt sad. I felt sad because when I first met him I was gonna call the police on him. I hugged Akki even tighter before getting out of the car.

  We fell asleep on the couch again. I felt safe as Akki held me close to his chest. That stupid feeling came over me again. He's your brother! For fucks sake, get a hold of yourself Vincent. I snuggled closer to Akki as the storm started up once again. In the flashing lighting I could see how peaceful and happy he looked as he slept. I smiled and closed my eyes. Why can't every day be as good as today? I fell asleep thinking about how awful school was gonna be tomorrow.