A picture is worth a thousand words

We were running back to our bikes, begging the girl to come with us. She seemed frozen. In more than one way. She was probably painfully cold. I quickly shrugged off Mike's jacket, and wrapped it around her. She stared at me. I smiled in the most reassuring way I could, slowly taking her hand in mine. Her stare went wide-eyed, and she looked like she was gonna pull away, yet she didn't. She let me take her to my bike. I sat down, patting behind me on the seat. She sat down.

      "You can hold onto me if you feel like you might fall off." I said. She was silent. "OoooKay!" I said, starting to bike, as the thunder crashed and the lighting struck.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    We snuck through Mike's back door, rushing into his basement. We told the girl to sit, and we stood in front of her in a short, most likely for her very intimidating line. She was shaking, and her breath came out in short bursts. We all started asking questions.

"Is there a number we can call...? Y'know, for your parents..?" I asked.

"What happened to your hair...do you have cancer?!" Dustin piped up, earning a smack on the arm from mike.

"Did you run away?" Lucas asked.

"Are you in some kind of trouble...?" Mike asked softly.

"Is that blood...?" Lucas asked, reaching towards the girl. She shrunk away from him, so I smacked his hand away.

"Stop that! You're freaking her out!" I said.

"She's freaking me out!" Lucas retorted.

"I bet she's deaf. Dustin said. He leaned towards the girl, and clapped in her face, making her jump. He shrugged. "Not deaf."

"Alright, that's enough! She's just scared, and cold." I said, grabbing my backpack, and pulling out the clothes that I had brought for the next day, handing them to her. "Here. These are clean, and dry, okay?" She took the clothes, and pushed them against her face. I smiled. She's so cute! She put the clothes down on the couch, and stood up, grabbing the bottom of the oversized t-shirt she was wearing, and started to pull it up. All the guys started freaking out and turned away. I grabbed her hands.

"N-no no, y-you don't do that here! U-um...there's a bathroom...over there. Here, I'll show you." I said. She dropped her hands down to her sides, and picked up the clothes. I walked her to the bathroom, and let her in. I was closing the door when she grabbed it, making sure it was open. "You don't want it closed...?" I asked. She stared for a second.

"No." She said. My eyes widened in surprise. She speaks!

"Oh, so you can speak." I said, smiling. "Okay, well, uh...how about I leave the door open just a little bit." I closed the door, but kept it open enough for her to see my face still. "See? I'm right here, okay?" I said. She nodded.

"Yes."

"This is mental." Dustin said.

"At least she can talk..." Mike said.

"She said 'No' and 'Yes'. Mike's three year old sister says more!" Lucas said.

"She tried to get naked." Dustin said.

"She didn't know any better!" I said.

"There's something seriously wrong with her. Like, wrong in the head." Lucas said.

"She just went like-" Dustin mimicked the girl, pretending to throw his shirt off, his hat being knocked off in the process. I shook my head. I had only just met the girl, but I felt a strong sense of protection towards her, like, like I'd need her someday.

"I bet she's from Penthurst." Lucas said.

"From where?" Mike asked.

"That nuthouse in the county..." Lucas muttered.

"What, you have a lot of family there~?" Dustin teased.

"Bite me!" Lucas snapped. Mike rolled his eyes.

"But seriously, think about it! That would explain her shaved hair and why she's so crazy!" Lucas said.

"And why she went like-" Dustin mimicked the act again, and I glared at him, making him look down.

"She's an escapee that's the point. She's probably a psycho." Lucas said.

"Like Michael Myers." Dustin muttered. I stepped forward.

"She is not a psycho!" I defended her. They all stared at me.

"We should have never brought her here." Lucas said.

"So you're saying you wanted to leave her out in that storm?!" Mike protested. I nodded in agreement.

"Yes! We went out to find Will, not another problem!" Lucas said. I winced. "Sorry, Maggie." He muttered.

"I think we should tell your mom, Mike." Dustin said.

"I second that." Lucas said.

"Who's crazy now?!" Mike asked.

"How is that crazy?!" Lucas snapped.

"Because we weren't supposed to be out tonight, remember?"

"So?"

"So, if I tell my mom, and she tells your mom, and your mom AND your mom..." Mike trailed off.

"Oh no..." Dustin whimpered.

"Our houses become Alcatraz...." Lucas muttered.

"Exactly. We'll never find will!" Mike said. I nodded solemnly, and he wrapped and arm around me for comfort. "Alright. Here's the plan: she sleeps here tonight."-"You're letting a girl-""JUST LISTEN!....Maggie is also sleeping over, so she can help her with all the...girly stuff." He muttered. I nodded in agreement. "In the morning, she sneaks around my house, goes to the front door and rings my doorbell. My mom will answer and know exactly what to do. She'll send her back to Penthurst or wherever she comes from, and we'll be totally in the clear! And tomorrow night, we go back out. And this time, we find will." He said. I smiled. Hes so smart. I couldn't be more grateful. After we said our goodbyes, Lucas and Dustin left.

"Here's my sleeping bag." Mike said, handing the girl one. We showed her the fort, and were both sitting in front of her on all fours. Something popped into my head.

"Oh! Um...we never asked for your name!" I said, tilting my head and smiling as sweetly as I could. The girl looked down, and slowly pulled back the sleeve of the sweater that I lent her, revealing a tattoo. 011. Eleven.

"Wow! Is that real?" Mike reached towards it, and she yanked her arm away. "Sorry...I was just-I've never seen a kid with a tattoo before!" He said. The girl stared intently at both of us.

"What does it mean? 11?" I asked. The girl pointed to herself.

"That's your name?" Mike asked. She nodded. Strange. I smiled.

"Eleven, huh? Hm...how about we call you El? Or, or Ellie for short!" I said. She smiled widely, startling me. "You like that idea? Great! My name's Maggie!" I said. She slowly pointed at me.

"Mag...gie?" She said slowly. I nodded, smiling wider.

"Yeah! Maggie!" I said. She smiled a little. "And this is my best friend, Mike." I gestured to Mike, who waved awkwardly. The girl's face contorted into confusion.

"Friend..?" She asked.

"It's somebody who you can tell everything to-""someone who you wouldn't dream of leaving-""someone who makes you happier than anyone else-""someone who makes you smile." Mike and I went back and forth, both looking at each other as the list went on. Until the final thing on the list, which we said together.

"Family."

(((The next chapters gonna be about Maggie's dream, should it be song-based or just normal? I really can't figure it out ;-;))))