Mutual Love

I sat next to Ellie, leaning over her shoulder and listening in as she tried to find a connection to the walkie-talkie that Mike had said to have "channeled" Will.

"This won't work. We need to get her to a stronger radio." Mike suggested. Dustin looked up, a smile stretching across his face.

"Mr. Clarke's Heathkit ham shack." He said in almost a whisper. I smiled, feeling the joy bubble up in my chest.

"The heathkit's at school." Lucas reminded us, as if we didn't know. "There's no way we're gonna get the weirdo in there without anyone noticing."

"She has a name." I grumbled.

"I mean...look at her." All the boys turned in our direction, staring down Ellie. An idea flashed into my brain and I hopped to my feet, gasping and startling everyone.

"I can fix her up! With some of Nancy's clothes, makeup, and a wig, she'll look perfect!" I exclaimed. Dustin agreed happily, and Mike smiled at me.

"You're a genius, Byers."

"Well that's one way to put it." I sent him a wink.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was a sport in itself just trying to put makeup on Ellie. The first time I reached towards her she recoiled with the funniest look of pure shock and confusion on her face, which led me to burst out laughing. It became much less amusing when it kept happening. After spending a whole ten minutes just convincing Ellie that the makeup brushes were safe and not alive, I finally was able to get her to stop squirming.

Dipping it in the pink powder, I smiled as I felt the brush touch her cheeks.

"You know, you're very pretty. It's a shame you usually don't go to school, I'm sure you'd have a boyfriend by now." At the confused look on Ellie's face, I got flustered, "o-or girlfriend!" I sputtered. Her face just got more confused, and that's when it hit me.

"Boy..friend? Girlfriend?..." she repeated, her voice begging me to explain. I laughed, my cheeks burning from embarrassment at the fact that I had actually forgotten what was so special about Ellie.

"Oh, right! I'm sorry..you see, a boyfriend or girlfriend is someone who's like a friend, but more...not quite family, but they do matter a whole lot to you. They take you places, and buy you things, and kiss you and stuff!" I explained weakly.

"Kiss?"

"Yeah! I've never had one myself, but they're supposed to be super cool!" I said enthusiastically. I truly had wished to be kissed before, yet after realizing the slim chances, I let my dream go.

"How do you..kiss?" Ellie asked. I felt a bit flustered, seeing that the actual idea of a kiss was sort of gross.

"Well you...put your mouth on..someone else's." I said awkwardly. She scrunched her nose.

"Gross." I giggled, taking a stick of chapstick from the makeup bag.

"That's why you wear this!" I sang, leaning forward and gently brushing it onto her lips. Afterwards, I leaned back to admire my work. I couldn't help the smile that spread onto my face. She was absolutely gorgeous. I grabbed her hands, "the boys should have a dress and a wig for you outside, let's go!" I gently pulled her out, and Lucas handed me a pink, slightly ruffled dress, Dustin giving me a short blonde wig. I nodded, "nicely done, boys." I said, handing the stuff to Ellie and telling her to try it on. She walked into the bathroom, and I fell into line next to mike.

"You really think this will work?" Lucas asked.

"We don't know until we try." I responded. The door soon opened, Ellie walking out of the bathroom. My breath caught as I looked at her. Wow. I started to giggle out of pure excitement, rushing to her and grabbing her hands, "you look absolutely incredible!!" I squealed.

"Y-Yeah...good." Mike added, earning a weird look from everyone else in the room.

"I should probably change too, Pajamas don't look very good at school." I said, laughing softly.

"Just go borrow something from Nancy. She won't mind, she loves you." Mike said. I smiled.

"I know~"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I slipped on one of Nancies dresses, knowing it would be the only thing that wouldn't be too big. It was a fairly cute red dress, covered in polka dots. I brushed through my hair also, leaving it down. I walked out of her room with a mind full of determination.

"That dress doesn't look half as good on Nancy." Mike blurted, and I laughed at him.

"I would return the compliment, good sir, but we have a cleric to save." I said, leading the boys out the door.