Out of Your Control

It was cold. The phone was ringing, and it was cold. I was there again. That...that place. That place where it was black, yet the place that was also blue. The place where acid snow seemed to rain from the sky. I looked at my hands. They were pale. And veiny. Real veiny. The veins were so obvious. I looked like a zombie. I swallowed a dry lump in my throat, and stood up. The phone kept ringing, the obnoxious ringing seemed almost far off, like it was above me. The rings echoed around the place. I wrapped my arms around myself, shuddering from the cold. It was damp in there.

   "Maggie!!" A far off, muffled voice filled my ears. My whole body froze. Will. I swung around. There was a bright red wall. Was it red? It was maybe orange. I couldn't be occupied by colors. I rushed towards the wall, convinced my brother was inside it. I looked closer to the wall. That's when his face showed up.

"MAGGIE, HES COMING!!" Will screamed, fear lacing his every word. My eyes went wide.

"WHO?! WHOS COMING?!" I asked desperately.

"HIM! HIM!!" Though he looked blurry through the wall, I saw he was pointing. Behind me. I slowly turned. And there it was.

"MAGGIE, WAKE UP!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My eyes snapped open. Jonathan stood above me, a small smile on his face.

"You know I hate to bother you, but Mike won't stop calling for you on the Walkie-Talkie." He said. I rubbed my eyes, trying the get the image of that, that thing out of my mind. He shoved my shoulder softly.

"He seems to really want you to answer. Maybe he likes you." He winked. My cheeks burned, and a chucked a pillow at him.

"Gross, Jonathan!" I huffed. He laughed, leaving. I stood, groggily picking up the Walkie-Talkie.

"This is Maggie, reporting and over." I said, my morning voice clear.

"Ah, jeez. Sorry to wake you, mags. Over." Mike responded. I smiled a little.

"Nah. Finding Will is #1 on my priorities, even before sleep. Over." I said. This time Lucas' voice rang from the walkie talkie.

"Then get your ass over here! Over!" He snapped. I rolled my eyes and got dressed, kissing my mom and big brother before speeding of to the wheelers.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When I got there, Eleven was busying herself with a walkie talkie, and the guys were huddled in the corner, conversing.

"We'll just tell our parents we have AV club after school. That'll give us at least a few hours for Operation Mirkwood." Mike said. I quickly joined the circle.

"Good idea." I piped up. Everyone gave me a brief smile, immediately going back to the planning.

"You seriously think the weirdo knows where Will is?" Lucas asked.

"Just trust us. Okay?" I asked. Lucas nodded.

"Do you have the supplies?"

"Yep." Lucas dug around in his backpack. "Binoculars...from 'Nam......army knife, also from 'Nam. Hammer....camouflage bandana, and the wrist rocket." Lucas lay down all of the items on the table. I stared, admiring them. Dustin snorted.

"You're gonna take out the Demogorgon with a slingshot?" He snorted. Lucas glared at him.

"First of all, it's a wrist rocket. And second of all, the Demogorgon's not real. It's made up" Lucas said. I looked down. It is...I think.

"But if there is something out there, I'm gonna shoot it in the eye..." Lucas snapped the wrist rocket, making the three of us jump. "...and blind it." Lucas finished smugly. Mike sighed.

"Dustin, what'd you get?" He asked. Dustin picked up his backpack and turned it upside down. Thousands of snacks spilled out. I rolled my eyes again.

"Aaalright. So we've got..." Dustin pointed at every item he had on the table. "Nutty Bars, Bazooka, PEZ, Smarties, Pringles, Nilla Wafers, Apple, banana and trail mix." Dustin finished. Lucas, Mike and I exchanged annoyed glances.

"Seriously?!" Lucas asked.

"We need energy for our travels. For stamina!" Dustin said defensively. "And besides, why do we even need weapons anyway?" Dustin gestured to Eleven. "We have her!"

"She closed one door!" Lucas said, about the same time that I said, "She's not a weapon!"

"She closed one door with her mind!" Dustin said. I glared at him. "Are you kidding me?! That's insane!" Dustin exclaimed. "Imagine all the other cool stuff she could do!....like....I bet..." Dustin walked away, picking up Lego figure of the Millennium Falcon. "...she can make this fly." He said, standing in front of eleven and holding the figure out to her. "Hey, hey." He said, successfully getting her attention. "Okay, concentrate, okay?" He said. Eleven stared at him like he was the weirdo. He dropped the figure, and....wait for it....it fell to the ground. I stifled a laugh, snorting instead. Dustin picked the figure back up.

"Okay, one more time." He said softly, as if he was talking to a child. He picked it back up. Lucas groaned, face-palming. Mike just looked baffled. "Use your powers, okay?" Dustin said. He dropped the figure once more, and it hit the ground once more.

"Idiot." Lucas snapped. Mike sighed.

"She's not a dog!" I said. Dustin sighed as Mike picked up his figure and put it away.

"Guys!" Mrs. Wheeler called. "Time for school!" She said. I nodded quickly, grabbing my bag. I quickly walked to eleven, kneeling down.

"Stay here, okay? Don't make any noise, and don't leave. If you get hungry, just eat what Dustin brought, okay?" I said softly. She nodded.

"Mags!!" Mike called from above us. I huffed.

"COMING!!" I screeched, then turned back to Eleven. "You know those power lines? Behind Mike's house?" I asked Eleven. She nodded. "Meet us there after school." I said.

"3:00?" Eleven asked. I smiled.

"Yeah, 3:00." I said. I pat her head, and stood.

"See you later, Ellie." I said. She smiled, nodding.

"3:00?"

"3:00."