Post 22 - Enemy Unknown

Following the villagers was no challenge at all.  They were a large number of people, moving across in a wide front, leaving an umissable mark of their passage on the vegetation, leaving a wide trail for any followers. After refreshing themselves and grabbing a few bites of whatever they could find in the village, Nrell’har and his boys had set off after the villagers at a jog that they could maintain for hours. Greynar matched their pace easily, lagging behind them a bit. His mind was processing the facts in his hand so far: A considerable number of Orks, if not a horde, present on the planet, indigenous human population at the very early stages of civilization and now chasing after the villagers sent off to an unknown destination by a mysterious elder woman. By Russ, he did not even know in which part of the universe he was in! But that did not stop the Orks from coming here, which meant, there was Emperor’s work to be done yet. Without more information available to him, he could not form any meaningful plan on his course of action so he settled for hanging out with these people for the moment and gather more facts.

He saw Ryu slowing his pace to slide back to Greynar’s side.

“I couldn’t thank you before, for saving my people back there, Greynar.”

“I wasn’t expecting one. I serve the Emperor in Russ’s name and I was doing His work. All humans are primarily His subjects and are under His protection.”

“Even then, thank you great warrior.”

Greynar acknowledged Ryu’s gratitude with the slightest of nods and kept on walking.  Unfazed by  Greynar’s lack of interest to engage in a conversation, Ryu pressed on with his questions, which he was finally able to find time to ask:

“Who is this Emperor?”

“He is the Master of Mankind, protector of all humans.”

“I am human, I believe, but I don’t know of your Emperor. Why doesn’t he come here? Where are your people? Why do they not come here?”

Not knowing how to explain a concept with ten thousands of years backdrop, Greynar remained silent for several steps.

“That is a question maybe best answered by a Skald but let it suffice for you to know that you are not alone in the universe; there are millions of worlds like yours up there and billions of humans living on them. Our Allfather, the Emperor is the savior and master of all humans. My people, Vlyka Fenryka are among his elite warriors charged with fighting the xenos and protect the mankind from the dangers of the universe. And that is enough for you to know for now. Focus on the task at hand. We need to find your people and understand what is going on.”

The sun had already set and they were moving under the moonlight filtering through the trees. A soft breeze rustled the leaves around, carrying the aroma of crushed vegetation trampled by the passing of the villagers before them. Their steady progress continued. At other times, Nrell’har would not have his people push through the forest at night but he had a feeling of urgency he could not shrug off, besides with the passage of the villagers, all wildlife had deserted this part of the forest so he did not expect any encounter with the dangerous beasts that would normally be lurking around now.

Long before anyone, Greynar heard it. He halted suddenly and warned the group to stop, as well. His super human ears had picked up sounds of commotion and wailing from ahead.

“Your people are in danger!”

With that warning, he dashed forward, leaving the group behind fast on his giant strides. With a rush of adrenaline, Nrell’har and his boys raced after Greynar, trying but failing to catch up with him. Their destination was the same, so that actually did not matter. Despite the weariness of hours of walking, they willed their muscles to maximum speed. Too many tragedies had happened in a short while; they had still not recovered from their losses and now this new threat. But that was their families in danger and Nrell’har did not need to remind it.

Shortly after, they also heard the desperate cries, piercing the night. Women were wailing, children were crying loudly, pack animals braying in pain, it was pure chaos. This put new energy into their limbs as they renewed their efforts to reach their people sooner. Finally they saw the encampment ahead and soon cleared out of the forest line to the camp, breathless and their weapons in their hands.

The sight before them was gruesome and atrocious. Their people had huddled to the center of the camp, trembling with fear. There were several dead in front of the group, some of them looking riddled with holes, some of them could only be explained as “exploded”, with bits of their bodies splattered on the ground and onto the nearest of the villagers. One small child, with a wordless cry on his mouth and shocked face, was still holding a severed hand, his body covered in gore of his mother.

Some men were near a group of trees, hacking around aimlessly, shouting desperate curses. All they seemed to manage was to slaughter the trees and bushes around them.  Nrell’har’s group skidded to a halt in front of the camp, him shouting for the attacking men to stop and explain what was going on. Before he could get anything out from anyone, out of nowhere a thin crack was heard followed by a shrieking sound and the woman nearest to Nrell’har exploded in a mist of blood, spraying Nrell’har in red.

The men hacking at the trees rushed towards where they thought the attack had come from. Nrell’har and his boys followed their suit with war cries on their lips. All they could see and find was, nothing, though.