quinze

-          after dinner with jimin, yerin slipped off to explore the museum more. she loved the sound of her shoes tapping on the smooth wood floor. she loved the emptiness of each white room, the space to breathe amongst the silent paintings.

her favorite paintings were the realistic ones. they captured her attention and kept it—rolling hills, grazing sheep, soft sunsets over sleepy villages. yerin liked to trace the brush strokes with her eyes, how the artist chose how to move the paint around the canvas to make leaves, clouds, ponds.

turning the corner to another room, yerin stopped in her tracks. facing her was a massive painting that took up the entire wall. it was the only painting in the room, almost entirely white, but in the center was a little window.

yerin stepped closer to see it. past the window was a nighttime landscape. moonlight brushed the tops of a few dark hills, and tiny stars pricked the deep blue sky. a moon hung in one corner like a silver petal, formed by one smooth stroke. the whole window was smaller than yerin's hand.

"wow."

yerin turned around to see jeongguk, leaning on the wall.

"oh, i didn't hear you," she remarked, trying to ignore her quickened pulse.

"sorry." he walked over to stand beside her. "i was just wandering."

"what do you think?" she asked, watching his face as he took in the piece in front of him.

"it's interesting," he said slowly. "all that negative space. it's beautiful because it's brave."

they sat down next to each other on the bench in front of the painting, both in their own worlds, admiring the expansive painting.

finally jeongguk broke the silence, turning to her with a shy smile.

"do you think i could draw you?"