dix-huit

-          she woke up with her head on jeongguk's shoulder and jimin shaking her awake.

"you guys! get up! we're home!"

she blinked in the sudden light as the bus driver flicked on the overheads. jeongguk seemed to have been sleeping as well; he lifted his head from atop yerin's with a groggy slowness.

"we're what?" he mumbled.

"leaving. the field trip is done, and we're back at school. come on, guys, how were you both that tired? i had no one to talk to the whole ride," jimin pouted comically, and yerin had to chuckle.

"sorry, min," she apologized, and stood up to follow jimin out the aisle and into the cool night air. a hazy jeongguk followed behind them.

they all stepped out into the night. the sidewalk in front of the school was full of students waiting for their families under streetlights, their breath forming orange-tinted clouds in the cold air.

"there's my mom," jimin said as a dark car pulled up to the curb. "i'll see you guys tomorrow!"

"bye," jeongguk and yerin said in unison as jimin slid into the car's front seat and slammed the door.

then it was just the two of them, watching the occasional car flash past on the quiet street.

"look," jeongguk said suddenly, and yerin did, following his lead, letting her gaze rise from the chemical glow of the streetlights to the dark sky above.

the stars were spectacular, countless, brilliant, tiny flecks of light on deep blue-black velvet. they clustered and spun, freckling constellations and giving the glowing moon a lustrous halo. the sky had never looked so endless.

"you could get lost up there," yerin said quietly, the words slipping from her mouth before she knew she had thought them.

"you could," he replied. "we are."