The Nevers

Never rules

Never make human contactNever disobeyNever leaveNever complainNever say noNever be personalNever talkNever runNever eat unless toldNever changeNever mar Never hurtAlways be A Perfect

'Never Rule Book' excerpt from 1.19

I was a Perfect. A modified human who was altered to fit needs and wants of governmental officials. Perfects are quiet, demure and talented. We are bought, sold and numbered and we obey. Beautiful externally, artificial science fiction made reality below. 

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

I suppose I was a girl once. A girl like any other. I suppose I had a mother and father but they were unbeknownst to me. I suppose I had a home. Yet, I only had Number 7026 and Sir as my paternal figures. My home was a grey cell, a luxury compared to the lower Perfects. 

The day I broke the Nevers was one I would never forget. 

The day started with my morning breakfast of sludge. I carried coals and folded the clothes of the other perfect. I went to my classes and we all sat in perfect, obedience. There was no noise, no inhalations or exhalations. Only the required sound of 'cha' when practicing weapons. After, my second round of sludge I sat in the library for international studies with the rest of my class of Perfects. Afterward, marching back to our monotone rooms. 

Alice came to me that day in my 12 x 12 room. She grabbed me by the hand and lead me outside. I remember not knowing what to do. I wasn't supposed to leave for another three bell chimes. It wasn't even one chime yet. Something was off. Something wasn't perfect. 

Alice, my keeper, lead me outside the grey walls of the residents. She walked past the library, halls, weapons rooms, and offices. We kept walking. I followed her by the tugging forearm. Soon, I was blinded by the white lights that winter and Holy Selena gave us. It was cold and empty just like the chamber beneath my skin that kept me alive.

The outside was white. It was Perfect. 

I saw Sir in his white coat. He saw us approaching. Alice walked away from me. Sir came closer to her. The world slowed, frame by frame. 

Before I knew it, red splashes covered my eyes and the pure white powder under my feet. Not Perfect!  I looked up. There standing before me in his white lab coat was Sir. His white lab coat was splattered too with the red substance. Alice was on the white, no red, floor. Something changed in me then. The red flashed. My vision seemed to drip with the color. Not Perfect! 

That day was my birthday or at least the first day in my living memory. It was also the death of some forgotten part of me. 

I walked forward towards Sir. He walked backward and told me to obey him. To go back and forget. Not Perfect!  I glanced at the sleeping Alice. Not Perfect!  I felt a clang again. The red splashed against my vision once more. Sir fell beneath my feet. A thump beneath my metal epidermis.  Perfect!

I felt open. Like those birds, I'd see in my window those years ago. They would come out from underneath their white plumage and fly. Maybe I too was those birds I saw a long time ago.

That was the first time I broke a Never and most certainly not the last. I killed the man who killed my friend, my "father."  I grinned as I watched the snow become a deeper red. As the color spilled out from Sir. As it flooded my vision. The world became clearer as the crimison tinge spread. 

My grin grew large. I felt it slither to cover my whole face, ear to ear. Perfect! The thumping grew louder. It hit my chest. It felt Perfect!  Is this what flying feels like? Where do birds go once they are free from their cages? What's beyond the rusted gates?

I remembered the last order that I was given and had to follow was to escape and into the borders of Berlium. Alice's order. 

I was never supposed to leave. I was never supposed to disobey their orders. I was never to have any human contact outside the lab. I was never to be used for anything other than persuasion for government uses.

I change my looks. I gave myself a name. I owned myself. I didn't talk to anybody, kept my head low. I was never supposed to make friends yet, I did. I had an adventure beyond those rusted gates of time.

I feel like destiny and fate disagree a lot because I did. What really is perfection if it is meant to be broken? What really defines evil?

This is my story and this is the Nevers. My name shall be remembered as Ever.

A/N: Hey! I have no idea how you found this if you did but congrats! I have thousands of ideas in my head and I will be writing them in this book! Please share your thoughts and share! Remember you are an amazing person. Dont listen to negativity.