Chapter 13

[Republishing because Wattpad sucks]

You woke up on the floor. Again. The ringing was still there, but it was fading quickly. The pounding from last time was also back, but after a few seconds you realized that it was just your heartbeat. You weren't sure if you were happy or not that it was still beating.

"Are you alright?" you heard Celine ask.

Other than a horrible headache, you were fine. It wasn't as awful as last time, which could be good or bad. Good because it meant you were getting used to this kind of thing, and you were growing stronger. Bad because, well, you didn't want to make a habit out of messing with the dark arts.

"Yeah," you groaned, sitting up slowly. Celine moved to give you a hand and you took it gratefully.

"So... What did you see?"

You froze as the memories started rushing back. The weird, dizzying feelings after having that first drink. Putting the gun to your head and pulling the trigger, then watching as the Colonel did the same to everyone else. Getting  punched by the detective, then being helped by Damien. Then, kissing him. Feeling extremely giddy as he led you up the stairs. Turning in time to see the Colonel aim the gun at Mark.

One chamber left.

One bullet.

"The Colonel... Will..." You held your head, wishing that none of this had ever happened and it was all just a bad dream. "Damien, oh my god! Celine, what have I done?"

"What about William? What did you see?" She seemed more concerned about the Colonel, while you were still thinking about the mayor.

The mayor.

You slept with the mayor.

YOUR BEST FRIEND. Well, at least you finally understood why you were really wearing his clothes.

"Celine, what have I done?" you asked again.

He's your best friend. He doesn't have feelings for you!

Are you sure about that? something inside of you asked. He's the one that led you upstairs.

Yeah, but- you tried to argue.

He also kissed back.

"William! What did he do?" Celine asked again, more forcefully.

"It... It was the Colonel, with the gun, during the party."

"What are you- oh. Oh, no. No no no no, the idiot, of course he'd be the one to- oh no..."

Celine sat down hard in one of the chairs. You were still on the floor, curled into a ball with your head in your arms.

At the moment, you couldn't care less about the Colonel. The only thing on your mind was Damien.

"I hope you don't think differently of me after this."

That's what he was talking about. He knew about it this whole time and didn't say anything. In a way, you were thankful. You weren't sure how you would have dealt with that knowledge AND the murder of one of your friends. At the same time, you were angry. You deserved to know what had happened. He had no right to keep that information from you.

You started to cry. You had been holding it in for so long, and this was the final straw. The loud, disgusting, ugly sounds of your sobbing filled the room. Celine didn't appear to notice. She was lost in her own thoughts, her own problems.

After a while, though, she interrupted you.

"(Y/n). We can't tell anybody."

"W-why not?" you asked, taking a deep breath and trying to calm yourself. "The Colonel killed Mark. He was your husband, you should at least care a little!"

"I do care about him!" she snapped. "But... But I'm in love with William."

Oh. Oh.

"Oh." You pulled yourself up off the floor and sat in the chair across from Celine.

"That's why I left Mark."

"And that's why we haven't heard from him in years." Celine nodded in confirmation.

The two of you sat in silence, your occasional sniffling being the only sound.

"William is a good man," she said finally.

"That's what Damien said."

"Yes, Damien has been my friend for a very long time. He's like a brother to me. He only sees the best in people."

"Celine, I slept with him last night. I... I think Mark drugged the drinks." God, it had only been last night. It seemed like ages ago. You'd pretty much been through hell and back, and not even a full day had passed.

Celine nodded again. "Yes, he told me."

"What?! How could you not tell me?! I had the right to know!" you shouted furiously.

"You did, but Damien told me not to say. He was afraid of how you'd react. And I have to say, maybe it was best that you didn't know."

You tried to push your anger aside. "I had a right to know," you said again, but your energy was beginning to fade.

"He really loves you, you know. He didn't want to lose you."

"What?" Your head spun with this new information. He had never said anything or done anything to indicate...

You're just oblivious, the voice said.

I know that, but I think I would have noticed something this important to me.

Really? Love presents itself in many different ways.

You thought back to all the late night talks, all the secrets and inside jokes, all the times you'd caught him staring and all the times he'd denied it, all the times he'd made sure you got home safe and all the times he'd been there to tuck you in when you'd had too much to drink.

"I really am oblivious," you said out loud. Then, "Celine, what am I going to say to him?"

"Tell him the truth," she answered. "Tell him how you feel. Sounds easy enough, doesn't it?"

"Ha," you laughed nervously. "Wish me luck, I guess."

"Hey, remember to stay quiet about W- I mean, the Colonel," she said before you could leave.

You were so concerned about Damien, you had almost forgotten. You trusted Celine, and you trusted Damien even more. If they believed he was good, then you did, too.

"I won't say anything, I promise."

Celine nodded, then put her head in her hands. "Will, you idiot..." she mumbled to herself.

"He'll be okay," you tried to assure her. "We'll make sure of it."

And with that, you left to confront Damien.

[I AM SO SORRY!! It's been such a busy week with Thanksgiving and my brother's birthday and all the family coming over. Plus, writer's block has been kicking my ass. This chapter isn't great, but I'm not sure what other direction to take it. I promise it'll get better. Everything is kind of coming to a close. Also, thank you all so much for your comments! They always make me smile and I'm so thankful for all of you! So thank you again! I hope you enjoy this chapter :) ]