Chapter 21

[Please read the note at the bottom!]

“No, no, no, come back!” you shouted, darkness enveloping you once more. It didn’t last long, however.

“Are you ready to change your mind yet?” Celine was back, her red aura casting unnerving shadows around you. Echoes filled the room again, but they sounded strange. It was as if it wasn’t her voice echoing back.

“What did you do? I want them back, please, Celine!” You were desperate. You needed to know if you were okay. You needed to know if they were okay.

“I can bring us back, (y/n)! I can help you, how do you not understand that?” She spoke with power and control, but you sensed a hint of desperation in her tone as well.

Every part of you wanted to say yes to her offer. But when you opened your mouth, something else inside of you took over.

“It’s not right! How do you not understand that?" Something clicked in your brain. "That was what Mark did, wasn't it? He came back. What was it... stabbed 37 times,  poisoned, beaten, strangled, drowned, and shot. In that order, but not all at once," you said, quoting the detective. "He didn't stay dead." It made sense. Well, maybe not, but it was the only available explanation.

Celine hesitated before responding.

"Yes. It was the house, it had to have been. In all the times I'd been there, I sensed a dangerous energy. Something... unnatural. Yes, he came back. Multiple times." She sighed, then continued. "He became too powerful. He learned to use it to his advantage."

"He was selfish," you concluded. "He set William up. He was selfish and jealous." You felt a small pang of guilt. This man had been your friend. You had known him for years. You had trusted him. He never seemed capable of anything like this. But of course, times change.

"Be careful what you say, he's still here."

"What are you talking about?"

"I already told you, he's what's keeping us trapped in here. The house built this place, but he's controlling it."

God, this whole thing was so messed up. It was just supposed to be a poker party. You knew why he was doing this, but there was a bigger "why?" bouncing around in your head. Why did he have to drag innocent people into this?

"I can get us out of here. Neither of us have to suffer any longer! You can be with Damien again! The Colonel is dangerous, you know this. He shot you, do you really think he'd spare Damien? He's snapped. One wrong move and your boyfriend will be joining us here."

The deep echo of her voice no longer seemed like an echo. In fact, it sounded awfully familiar. With a sinking feeling in your stomach, you voiced your suspicions.

"You're not really Celine, are you?"

Her red aura flickered, and for a split second you could see a dark shadow behind her.

"It's still me, (y/n)," she said.

"Celine would know William wasn't truly dangerous. She would know he never meant to harm anyone. She would be on his side. You're not really Celine."

Once again, her aura flickered. The looming shadow appeared closer than before.

"He killed the detective. He shot you, too. You can't be serious in believing he's completely innocent in all of this!" Power was radiating off of Celine's form, but you stood your ground.

"I know it's you."

"HE MURDERED MARK!"

You wouldn't have thought it possible, but a flash of lightening hit Celine, who disappeared. It was followed by a BOOM of thunder resounding through the barren nothingness all around you. The light illuminated the shadow figure, who stepped forward to take Celine's place.