Chapter 14

You had sex with Damien.

That was the only thought in your head as you slipped out of Celine's room, quietly closing the door behind you. You slowly slid down against the wall.

You could hear Celine crying from outside the door, and you had to resist the urge to go back in and comfort her. You knew time alone to think was best for both her and yourself, but you couldn't force your mind past Damien.

What does he think of me now?

He obviously cares about you.

He's going to think differently of me.

He hasn't been treating you differently.

You didn't know how to respond to that. The stupid little voice in your head was right. If Celine hadn't helped you regain your lost memories, you never would have figured out something had happened. Damien was just as sweet and caring as always. Even while struggling through accepting the murder of his friend, he had been there for you. You felt a pang of guilt hit your heart. What had you done for him? You got drunk, slept with him, and then forgot about it. You cried at the smallest things and then leaned on him for support. You didn't deserve him as a friend.

Are we even still friends? You asked yourself. Or are we more than that now? Or less?

You knew thinking like this was a bad idea. Nothing good could come of it. You also knew you were overreacting.

"Pull yourself together," you said out loud to yourself as a tear slid down your cheek. Now wasn't the time for another breakdown. The muffled sobbing from behind the door reminded you why you were really there.

The Colonel had killed Mark. However, he had been kind to you, and from what you've gathered, him and Mark had been good friends for many years. It was hard to think of him as a murderer, especially since you now knew everyone had been drugged, and especially after what Damien had said to you.

"Just know that William- the Colonel- is a great man. He's been my friend for many, many years and I trust him with my life. I promise you, you can trust him, too."

Of course, you realized now that Damien had also known about the Colonel. In the back of your mind, you wondered what other secrets he was keeping.

You can't think like that. This is Damien we're talking about here, he would never do anything to harm anyone.

The best thing to do is confront him.

Fuck off, you said to the voice. You knew it was right, but you didn't want to move. You didn't want to think. Everything was so... Overwhelming.

After taking a few deep breaths and wiping your eyes, you pushed yourself off the wall and stood. From the silence on the other side of the door, you assumed Celine had calmed down a bit. You hoped she would be okay. The man she loved killed the man she used to love. There's no right way to deal with and accept that. You put a hand on the door.

"Good luck," you whispered. Despite not trusting her at first, you now considered her a friend. Besides, Damien trusted her, and you trusted his judgement.

With that thought, you made your way downstairs.

---------------

When you walked into the living room, you saw that nobody had moved except for the detective, who was pacing the room. You also noticed the Colonel had finally joined everyone and was sitting on the couch next to Damien, who looked like he was afraid to make eye contact with you.

"Are you okay?" the detective asked when he saw you. "How's your head? Did she hurt you again?" He put a hand on your shoulder, looking concerned.

You forced a laugh. "Yes, Abe, I'm alright. My head is okay. It was never her intention to hurt me last time. I... learned some new things, it was actually very helpful."

When you said that, Damien finally looked up. You held his stare for a few seconds before giving a small smile and looking away. You would talk to him later.

"So you do know who did it? Do you have any information pertaining to the investigation?" Abe continued to question.

"Uh..." you locked eyes with the Colonel and you saw a flash of fear pass over his face. "I still think we should check out the groundskeeper, George was it?" The chef looked like he wanted to argue again, but he kept his mouth shut. You felt bad for throwing George under the bus, but Damien trusted the Colonel and Celine loved him. You were doing this for them.

The Colonel gave you a small nod and you returned it when the detective looked away. You noticed that Damien had been watching you, and you heard him release the breath he had been holding.

Abe looked disappointed. "Is that it? What did you see?"

You felt yourself blush a little. "Well, I beat all your asses at poker," you said, trying to lighten the mood. That got a light chuckle out of the butler, who was standing off to the side.

"Alright. Well, at least we still have a place to start. I guess we're questioning George then." The detective still seemed disappointed, but thankfully he wasn't suspicious.

"Sounds like a plan," you said. "Is it okay if I have a minute to myself, though? I promise, I won't take too long. My head just feels a bit funky." You hoped he wouldn't question your actions.

"Of course, partner. I'm surprised you're doing this well, after the last time. Let me know when you're ready to head out."

You gave the detective a quick hug and thanked him for caring before heading to the kitchen. You needed a drink. You hated lying to Abe. He had been nothing but kind to you this whole time and you understood that he was just trying to do his job as well as avenge the murder of his friend. He was a good man.

You shook yourself out of your thoughts and started searching the cupboards. It didn't take long to find an unopened bottle of champagne and a few glasses. You set two out on the counter and poured one for yourself. Taking a few small sips, you waited. It shouldn't be long.

Of course, after another minute or so of waiting, you heard footsteps approaching from the door. You didn't turn around when you heard Damien ask if you were alright. Instead, you poured champagne into the other glass.

"We need to talk."

[Man I have had absolutely no motivation haha. I'm trying to think of a good way to end this, but that should take a few more chapters. Like I've probably said before, everything is coming to a close. I'm kinda afraid to finish it, but I'm also looking forward to moving on to new projects. Thank you all so much for taking the time to read my mediocre story haha. I love you all.]