Chapter 19

You could hear your heart pounding in your chest as you stood in the doorway of the new room. Still a little unsteady on your feet, you leaned against the door frame. The area was connected to the living room, but you had never seen it before now.

It appeared to be an office of some kind. It was fancy, just like every other room in the house, but piles of papers and books strewn around the room almost hid that. The desk, the walls, even the floor and the bookcase were covered in scraps of papers and random pages torn out of books. A bulletin board on the wall held pictures and newspaper clippings dating back quite a few years.

As messy as it was, however, there seemed to be some form of order. Everything was sorted, albeit a bit haphazardly.

Eventually, curiosity got the better of you and you slowly made your way to the desk. Something about this room felt... off. Cautiously, you picked up a piece of paper. 'The Colonel' was scribbled all over the page in sloppy handwriting. Feeling anxious, you set it back down and moved on.

The next thing you saw was a newspaper headline. 'SAFARI HUNT GONE WRONG.' Next to it was a picture of the Colonel himself, holding a rifle. You knew almost nothing of his past, but the fact that he had been a hunter didn't really surprise you. You wondered what he had done wrong to get in the newspaper, but the rest of the article was missing. Disappointed, you moved on.

Upon closer inspection, you noticed the pictures on the bulletin board were connected with strings. Most of them led back to a polaroid of the Colonel. Whoever this room belonged to obviously believed him to be guilty. Your mind flashed to the detective, and you almost smacked yourself for being so stupid. He was the detective, of course he'd be investigating what he thought to be his only good lead. And unfortunately, it seemed like he had decided on who was to blame for everything.

You groaned in frustration and rubbed your face. Turning around, you saw a typewriter on the desk. In it was a sheet of paper filled with nothing but the phrase 'The Colonel did it."

"This isn't good," you mumbled to yourself.

Something caught your eye on the corner of the desk. It was the broken picture of William you had found in Mark's room earlier that day. Of course the detective held on to it.

Out of anger, you threw it against the wall, where the already cracked glass smashed even more, sending small pieces flying everywhere. You leaned heavily against the desk.

"There you are!" someone said, startling you. You spun around to see the Colonel standing in the doorway. "I've been meaning to ask you something-" His voice faded as he looked around the room. He picked up the safari newspaper clipping. "What is this?" he asked, anger clearly present in his tone. "The detective's been keeping tabs on us?"

"William-"

"No, the detective's been keeping tabs on me." He pulled a paper off the bulletin board. It was more scribbles, but this time they said 'Don't trust the seer' and 'Celine' over and over again. You hadn't noticed it before. "And Celine!"

"William, listen to me-"

"He's the one who orchestrated all of this!"

"No, listen-"

"He DID this!"

This was very bad. You needed him to listen to reason. You couldn't let his anger control him.

"Will! You need to calm down-"

"DETECTIVE!" He threw the paper down on the floor and stormed out. Nearing the point of panic yet again, you followed him.

"DETECTIVE!" he shouted again, nearing the stairs. You grabbed his arm, pulling him back.

"Fucking listen to me for once!" You held him in place, desperate to get him to listen. He grabbed your shoulders.