Chapter 17

"I think I see him," whispered the detective, pointing to an older man with a shovel. He seemed to be digging. You all approached the large garden area. "Hey, buddy! Hands where I can see them!" Abe shouted, drawing his gun.

"Is this really necessary?" Damien muttered to you. You shushed him in response.

"Hey, my hands are where they're supposed to be. Unless, of course, you'd like to dig the hole for yourself." George, the groundskeeper, didn't even look up as Abe advanced with his gun aimed toward him. He spoke with a weird accent, but you couldn't quite place where it was from.

"What the hell are you doing here?" the detective asked, unfazed.

"I'm the groundskeeper. I keep the ground." George finally stopped his work and looked up. He didn't seem at all bothered by Abe's threatening tone or his gun. "I'd say look around. The ground is pretty well kept in this place, right?"

"I'm sorry, man," the chef stepped in. "This dick made me bring him out here."

"You shut up," you said. "Don't make yourself a target, here."

"How do you not know about the murders going on in his house?" Abe continued. Lightening struck and thunder boomed. "How do you not hear that lightening?"

"Lightening is the sky's business! I tend to the ground! When the ground starts shooting up lightening, I'll let you know!"

"Alright then, smartass. Why exactly are you digging that hole?"

"And why shouldn't we suspect you for taking part in the death of your employer?" you added. The detective nodded at you. You felt strangely proud.

To your surprise, George just laughed. "Employers come and go! Some die, some don't." That sounded really familiar... "Some are murdered, some are not. It's not my business!"

That was what he said in your vision. Now it made more sense. You already felt bad for lying to the detective and throwing the groundskeeper under the bus. Now, you knew that he really was innocent, and that just made you feel worse.

"I'm digging this hole for a burst water pipe, if that's alright with your gracefulness!" he continued. You could tell he was getting annoyed.

"See, I told you. George didn't do nothin', man!" the chef shouted, defending his friend.

"See? I just did nothing." George went back to digging his hole.

"Forgive me for not taking you at face value," the detective said sarcastically. "But we're all gonna come inside, sit down, and have a nice lovely chat. We're gonna get to the bottom of this before I lose my mind and start dabbling in murder myself!" Lightening flashed. He was getting progressively angrier. You felt horrible for hiding the truth, but protecting the Colonel was more important.

George looked almost too calm when he finally stopped digging again. "Now, you listen here, sonny. It's been fifteen years since I've been in that house, and I am not about to break that winning streak now. I don't care how many murders there've been. I ain't going near that house!"

You flinched, ready for the lightening and thunder. You shared a look of surprise with Damien when it didn't come. Something seemed off here.

"However," he continued his rant. "There is one reason. One incident. One... manifestation. That will get me into that madhouse."

You were about to ask what it was, but stopped when you saw Abe shake his head.

"You had better pray to God that that reason never comes to pass," he finished in a scarily serious tone. Everyone shared a look of uneasiness.

Suddenly, there was a barrage of thunder and lightening, and the house lit up from the inside. Wild wind sent the leaves into a flurry and the trees swaying dangerously. Someone screamed, and you think it may have been yourself. The only thing you could make sense of was Damien's arms wrapped protectively around you and George screaming, "THAT THERE'S THE FUCKING REASON!" You watched as he took off running toward the house, and you forced yourself to follow.

Everyone ran into the house. The light was almost blinding. Following George and the detective, you ran up the stairs. You saw Abe had his gun out.

"Go, go, go!" He motioned for you to take the lead. A door flew open to the left of you and the Colonel ran out, asking what was going on. You continued running. There was a door at the end of the hall that appeared to be the source of the light. With a sinking feeling in your chest, you realized that it was Celine's room.

Just as you were about to pull the handle, it flung open, hitting you square in the face and knocking you flat on your back. Through teary eyes, you saw a figure standing over you.

It was Celine. She was bathed in light and a red aura surrounded her form. She had a grin on her face that made your heart beat faster with fear. You felt paralyzed in her stare.

George rushed to the door, struggling to close it. "SOMEBODY HELP ME!" he shouted. It took you a few seconds before you struggled to your feet. Blood dripped down your face. You guessed it was from your nose. With as much strength as you could muster, you threw yourself against the door. With the help of George, the two of you managed to get it closed.

The second the door clicked into place, your knees buckled and everything went black.

[The second part, just like I promised! I kinda never want this story to end. I've worked so hard on it and I'm so proud of how far I've come. Thank you all again for sticking around this long. I love you all and I hope you enjoy!]