Chapter 15

[I made a small change to the end of the last chapter. They're drinking champagne, not wine.]

"We need to talk."

"That's never a good thing to hear," Damien chuckled nervously. You knew he was just trying to lighten the situation, and you appreciated it. Your hands were sweating and shaking, which you were sure went well with your sweatpants and loose-fitting t-shirt. And here Damien was, looking all fancy in his suit. Why would he ever like you?

"I know this isn't the most... significant thing happening-" you started before Damien cut you off.

"No, you have every right to want to talk about this." Of course he was understanding. Your heart fluttered as he spoke. You'd spent the past few years trying to ignore your feelings for him, and now here you were. You weren't sure what to say.  So instead, you handed him the glass you had poured for him.

"Oh, no thank you. You know me, I'm not really a fan of champagne."

You nodded and set it back down on the counter before taking another sip of yours.

"Well then, I, uh... I don't really know where to start. I know what happened. With you, with the Colonel, pretty much everything."

"Yes, I figured. (Y/n), I am so sorry. It was and never will be my intention to hurt you or force you into anything. We were both drunk, and you kissed me and I just couldn't- not to say any of this is your fault, I mean-" Damien was beginning to ramble, and you could tell how nervous he was. Somehow, that gave you a boost of confidence.

"Damien, it's okay. I'm not blaming you for anything that happened. This whole day has been one giant clusterfuck of a disaster, and honestly?" You took one of his hands in yours. "Kissing you last night was the best thing I've done in a long time."

You could see him blushing. You were kind of afraid of this newfound courage, but you felt so sure of yourself in this moment.

"Y-you don't understand," he continued. "The thing is... I don't regret what we did last night."

Your heart felt like it was soaring through the clouds. Right now, this was the only thing that existed to you. This was the only thing that mattered.

"That's what I'm trying to say, you idiot. I'm sorry that it took me so long to regain my memories, and I'm sorry you've had to deal with so much in the past... not even twenty four hours. But last night was the most fun I've had in years. I guess what I'm trying to say here is... neither do I. I know now really isn't the time for any of this, but-"

And then he was kissing you. After a few seconds of surprise, you started kissing back. Fireworks were going off in your heart and even your brain stopped thinking long enough to cheer you on. You forgot about the Colonel, the house, Mark, everything. The only important thing was Damien.

After a minute or two, the two of you broke away. You were both blushing profusely.

"I, uh, I've been wanting to do that all day," Damien admitted. You wrapped your arms around him in a hug.

"And here I thought you didn't like me," you said with a laugh.

"I love you to death but sometimes, you really are quite oblivious."

"Yeah, so I've been told."

You put your hands on his face and kissed him again. However, it didn't last very long. You heard someone in the doorway clear their throat. You quickly pulled away from the kiss, but grabbed Damien's hand.

"Bully!" the Colonel exclaimed. He had a big smile on his face and there was a light in his eyes that you really didn't expect to ever see, with everything going on. "I'm glad that you two are getting along, eh?" He gave Damien a light punch in the shoulder, then winked at you. You were surprised at his lightheartedness, considering everything that had happened in the past day. He didn't seem like a murderer.