Seven

Lyla couldn't see a thing and it made her heart quicken in anticipation, her fingers taping against the dash board nervously. From beneath her palms she felt the engine humming signaling that the car was still on and running. Edwin had a surprise for her and refused to tell, she was upset at first but slowly got more excited at the thought.

What has he got up his sleeve today? She thought with a giggle.

"What's so funny?" Beside her Edwin watched Lyla from the corner of his eye as he drove down the road.

"Just thinking about this surprise, what is it exactly?" She turned to him blindfolded.

"It's something." He laughed, "my, you're impatient."

"I am not!" She pouted, "just curious."

Leaning back in her seat she let out a sigh and picked at her blindfold.

"Hey!" Edwin exclaimed and she dropped her hand mumbling a sorry. "Must I tape your hands together?"

"Someone's grouchy." Lyla grumbled crossing her arms.

Edwin shook his head, "you're impossible sometimes, but I love you."

Lyla grinned "and I love you." she extended her hand out to him silently asking for his, and with a smile he entwined their hands together before placing them on his lap. With her other hand she played with the hairs on Edwin's arm and sighed.

"How much longer do we have?" She asked curiously twirling the small hairs gently.

"Not long, about ten minutes." Edwin replied with a lopsided smile, "you want to play a game?"

"Sure, which one?"

"Eye spy."

Her smile dropped, "ha ha very funny."

He grinned, "hysterical."

Reaching up Lyla laid her fingers over her temple and massaged the area with a small hiss of pain.

"What's wrong?" Edwin asked turning to her and seeing the slight frown on her face.

"The blindfold must be too tight, I've got a headache." She said shaking her head, "I'll be alright."

"I can take it off if it's bothering you, darling."

"No, I'll be fine. I wouldn't want to ruin the surprise." She smiled his way and he nodded.

"Alright, we'll be there soon, promise."

And true to his word Edwin arrived at their destination on time. Stepping out of the car he came around to Lyla's side and opened the door for her. Helping her out he carefully led her somewhere unknown to her and the whole time she was squealing and jumping in delight.

"It it a horse?" She asked, "I smell trees, and dirt, are we in the forest? Did I ever tell you the time I went camping with my father and I went to pee in a bush, turns out the bush was poison oak! The rash I had! Let me tell you when my mother got the call that I was in the hospital she was about ready to have my fathers head–"

"Lyla?"

"Yes, darling?"

"Shut up."

"Sorry, I'm just so excited!" She squeaked once they came to a halt. In front of them was a place Edwin had saved up enough money to get. After his talk with Lyla two months ago about their vacation and her wanting them to spend time together he immediately got to thinking. When he felt he had the right plan he went to a bank and asked for a loan and right after the approval he got to searching, and in seeing this place he knew Lyla would love it.