Thirteen • Restart of the Uchiha Line

Italicized dialogue - flashback

. . .

Sasuke once thought that there was no reason for Sakura to love him, as there was no reason for him to do the same with her. He believed that all of these feelings of romances were just ideals of a failed past.

But then he realized, reasons weren't needed to love a person.

"I'll pay." Sasuke said with conviction, stopping the pinkette from fishing some bills from her purse.

She smiled. "It's fine. I can-" she stopped mid-sentence when he had purposely ignored her and paid the owner of the store.

The two of them were eating out on a Saturday night after Sakura's shift in the hospital. It's been several months since the Uchiha had returned from his journey and he was earning now (pretty well actually), compared to the first few months of his stay in the village.

He couldn't say the villagers were all welcoming at this point but at least their gossips and constant whispering about him lessened.

"I'm going out on a mission tomorrow, by the way," she informed once they left the eating place. "I'm going with Shikamaru and Kiba. Kakashi-sensei told me they needed a medic."

Sasuke kept his lips in a thin line as he listened to her voice. They walked beside each other through the series of villagers while the cool breeze touched their skin.

He nodded in understanding. "Okay. I'll wait."

Sakura glanced at him, the chilly air blowing against her pink cheeks. "I'll be back in a few days."

What they have was, well, quite unusual. Everyone was curious about their current status, and often speculated that they were in a relationship. However, whenever they were asked, the two wouldn't reply with a direct or clear answer which caused more confusion.

Between the two of them, however, the case was different. Both knew what they have; they were aware and they understood each other. Although Sasuke never formally asked to take her out, he had his own ways to do so.

Not that she complains about it. Frankly, it amused her. It would be strange if Sasuke actually asks if "she can go out with him". He just wasn't that type of guy.

But still, if she recalls correctly, it's been two months since the two of them started going out. They would eat in different places (which includes Ichiraku Ramen but Naruto usually butts in so Sasuke doesn't suggest to eat there), or just simply talk in his flat after she gives him his weekly supply of groceries.

Sakura kept her expectations low this time and her mind was way more vast compared to when she was simply a young girl. She loved Sasuke in a completely different level that nobody could probably understand, and she didn't know if he felt that strongly as well, but at the very least she knew he was interested.

The same went for Sasuke too. Even if her actions in the past justified her love for him, he knew he had done so many things that had tarnished her trust. He liked her, truthfully, but he wanted to take things slowly but surely.

. . .

"Hey," Sakura showed up in his flat one time.

He was slightly taken aback with her presence, nonetheless opened the door fully to let her enter. Ever since he started to earn again, he had asked Sakura to stop paying for his groceries.

"I got out of work early." She said, taking a seat on the couch.

"Yeah." Sasuke nodded. "You could've said you'll be out around this time."