Chapter 7: Caspian

Eetu's eighteenth birthday. I'd normally try to duck out of it, but apparently this one is too important to be missing. I sit at the table with my family, trying not to talk to anyone until the ball portion begins. It'll be easier to slip out that way.

But then I see him. Across the room a blond boy is refilling people's goblets, clearing empty plates out of the way. I'm not sure why this particular servant boy catches my eye until he's standing in front of me.

"More wine?" He asks, holding up the pitcher of liquid.

"Yes, please." I hand him my glass.

He sets it down and walks away. I let out the breath I didn't realize I had been holding. Maybe I won't skip the ball this time.

It couldn't have come soon enough. The servants clear out the tables and chairs, and everyone, now full of food and wine, stands, ready to dance. I weave in and out of the people, searching for the blond boy.

I finally find him talking to my Aunt Lian and a few more kitchen boys.When he sees me, he stops and turns around to me, pulling me with him, away from the crowd gathered around him.

"Hello, sire." The blond boy nods to me.

"Call me Cas." I respond, leaning against the wall across from him.

"Cas..." He smiles, and for the first time I notice his eyes. The right is blue, the left, brown. They search me thoroughly, sparkling with intelligence. "Davy Jones."

His outstretched hand bridges the gap between us, and before I know it, we're barely three feet apart.

"Well," I fight the urge to blush, "are we just going to stand here, or are we going to dance?"

"I wasn't aware that was something we could do." It's Davy's turn to blush. "Being... you know..."

"My Uncle Caius is the same way." I pull Davy into the waltz stance. The strings get louder, drowning nearly everyone else out.

"I've never danced before." Davy admits as he misses one of the steps.

"Left, two, three. Right, two, three." I count out loud until Davy falls in line with me. He's repeating it under his breath.

"So what brings you here to Yna?" I finally get the courage to ask him.

"I got a job in the kitchen. I just wash the dishes for now, but, hey, everyone starts somewhere." He shrugs.

I spot my mother and father staring perplexedly at us, but my Uncle Caius gives me a small smile. That gives me the strength I need to keep dancing, brushing off the crowd's gaze.

Davy and I spend the rest of the night together, sitting on the stairs leading to the chambers, talking about anything. He makes me laugh until I nearly face plant on the stone floor beneath us.

Eetu rounds the corner with his friends, laughing away and obviously severely intoxicated. He claps me on the shoulder. "Caspian!" His drunken laughter echoes through the hallway. "Who's your friend?"

"That's Davy." I shrug off his hand.

"What are you doing out here? It's a celebration!" Eetu hiccups.

"Staying as far away from that," I gesture to the state he and his friends are in, "as possible."

"Spoilsport!" One of Eetu's friends calls out.

"Hey, E, Lila's here. Go get her." Another winked and pushed my brother through the big wooden doors.

"That's your brother?" Davy asks awkwardly.

"He's usually less... drunk." I sigh. "Some prince he is, huh?"

Davy chuckles. "Is it treason if I agree?"

"I don't think so. And if it is, I won't tell."

"Well, Caspian-" Davy stands.

"Cas, please." I stop him.

"Cas, tonight was an incredible night, but I really should get home."

"I'll walk you." I offer, surprisingly, Davy accepts. Together we walk through the deserted streets of the citadel until Davy stops in front of a little place wedged in between the blacksmith's and the tailor's.

"You didn't have to walk me..." Davy looks at the ground. The way the moonlight hits his young face compels me to take it in my hands. He doesn't flinch away. In fact, he pulls me closer, despite being half a foot shorter than me.

"Caspian!" My mother finds us before we could get any closer. "There you are." She pays no attention to Davy.

"Goodnight, Cas." Davy squeezes my hand. "Hopefully I'll see you tomorrow?"

"Definitely." I flash him a smile. He disappears into the little house.

"What were you thinking of?" Davy pulls me back to the present.

"Three years ago, when we first met." I answer.

He blushes, looking toward Anna's floor. "I was fourteen at the time."

"Every bit as lovable today." I have to bite the inside of my cheeks to keep from saying any more.

"I could say the same thing to you."

I can barely breathe at this point. And for once, I'm actually glad Anna enters the room.

"Work starts today!" She sings, throwing open the windows.

Davy and I squint, blinded by the sudden sunlight. I pick up my shirt from the floor and use it to shield my eyes.

"Next time, give us a warning before you try to blind us?" I wiggle my way into my shirt as Anna closes the shutters again.

She's stopped short, obviously distracted by Davy, who just can't seem to keep a shirt on. Hate to burst your bubble, Anna, but staring at Davy is my job.

"Anna?" I repeat, louder this time to get her attention.

"Oh, Cas! Uh..." Her deep mahogany skin now carries a pink undertone as she nervously pushes her hair behind her ear. "Yes. Next time you'll get a warning."

Davy finally decides to put his shirt on, and Anna gives us a small nod.

"Meet me downstairs in five."