Chapter 39: Caspian

Anna is sat on the floor, not looking either me or Davy in the eye.

"It's okay, Anna." I kneel down and gently lift her chin, forcing her to look at me. "We don't think any less of you, if that's what you're scared of."

"That's not it." She whispers. She's so quiet, I have to really strain to hear her. "I just can't believe I didn't know something that major."

"Hey, I mean, I didn't know about... you know... until three years ago."

"Yes, because liking men is so similar to being a siren!" Anna puts her head back in her hands.

"I know I can't compare to what you're feeling, but I understand your anxiety."

"How could you possibly understand? I feel like-"

"Like your brain is on fire? Like each breath you take is another sword driven onto your lungs and you just want it to stop? You'll try something drastic to get rid of the pain, like you'll get blackout drunk or you'll break things."

"I-"

"I'm right, aren't I?"

She throws her arms around me, and I pull her close.

"Cas, what do I do? I- I don't want to hurt you or Davy." Her strength crumbles and she's as much of a mess as I am.

"I'm not scared of that. I'll make sure we're all safe. I promise."

She laughs, holding me tighter. "You're the best, Cas. How did we land a friend like you?"

I'm unsure of how to respond. "I should probably tell my parents that we're leaving. Don't want another crisis like we had last time, do we?"

"I'll come with." Davy takes my hand.

"Alright. Anna, why don't we call Cora in here to keep you company?" As soon as I mention Coraene, Davy tenses up.

"No, Cas, that's not a good idea." He looks slightly panicked. "I don't trust Cora."

"Why not?"

"Look," Davy sighs, shutting the door and windows, sealing nearly every crack in the room, "she threatened me when I first found her. I think Salvatore did something to her."

"Cora wouldn't threaten anybody." Anna furrows her brows. "Are you sure you heard her correctly?"

"I'm pretty sure I'd remember when someone threatens Cas's life, Anna."

"She threatened my life?" I want nothing more than to kiss him right now. He's so concerned for my safety. "Why haven't you told anyone?"

"Because no one would believe me."

"I believe you." I look to Anna, who nods her support. "So we're telling my parents."

"No! She can't know that you know." Davy is frantic, he looks close to tears. That's weird. He never cries unless...

I think back on all the times I've seen Davy cry. As far as my memory let's me see, it's only when he's powerless, unable to help me.

Whatever this is, it goes so much deeper than what he's letting on.

"Okay. Fine, we won't tell them."

Davy's eyes soften a bit as I try my best to comfort him. I'm not as good at this as he is.

"Cas!" Coraene is standing outside the door when Davy finally calms down enough to open it. "Hey, I was looking for you."

"Why?" I stand in front of Davy a little, shielding him from her. "Is Eetu getting worse?"

"Oh, no. I just heard that you were leaving. May I ask where you'll be going?"

"Uh..." I look back to Davy and Anna. They're frozen in place, "not sure yet. It's just kind of wherever the boat wants to go."

"Oh. Well, I'm happy for you. I know Eetu is, too. You're going to at least say goodbye to him before you go, right?"

"Of course I am. Why all the sudden interest? Thought you guys would be glad to get me out of your hair."

"What? Why would you think that? You're my friend, and now, I guess, my brother."

"Well, I'm going to talk to my parents, so..." I try to sidestep her, but Coraene won't budge.

"What's the hurry?"

"Gathering supplies? We originally stocked enough for three people when we left Cirn but since we ended up with five people, the supplies kinda took a hit. And those we have left are most likely rotted by now."

"Right, sorry." Coraene finally lets Davy, Anna, and I pass.

"That's not Cora." Anna finally concedes once we're out of earshot. "We've got to warn Eetu."

"He'll never believe us." I whisper.

"He'll believe you, Cas."

"Not about this. Trust me, once Eetu loves someone, you can't change his mind about them. No matter what. We just have to pray that she won't do anything drastic. Let's just focus on getting the hell out of Yna for now."