Chapter 15: Caspian

"Cas, I really need to talk to you." Anna approaches me as soon as Davy is asleep. She looks panicked.

"Okay, what's up?" I wiggle my way off the floor, out of Davy's grasp. My shirt is at my feet and my hair is a giant mess. I don't bother to fix either.

"So, I don't want to alarm you, but... Eetu's still here in Iraya."

"Excuse me?" I stop short, my blood frozen in place.

"He's staying with a friend of mine, she took him in. Cas, I promise you, I didn't know this would happen."

"What about his men? Are they still here?" The same feeling from earlier creeps into my brain. Things are becoming crowded, I'm back to drowning in my own mind.

"They're gone, they left him. But I mean, he's all the way across town, the chances of him coming down this way are pretty slim." She puts her hands on my shoulders, trying to ground me.

"Unless your friend decides to pay a visit."

"Hey, it's gonna be okay. We can do this."

I pull Anna close into a hug, and she doesn't hesitate to return it.

"I'm scared, Anna." I just blurt it out.

"I know." Her hand is on the back of my head, and she's using her fingers to gently massage the area. "We've just got to be a little more careful, that's all."

I feel my airways closing up, but I don't want to wake Davy or make Anna worry, so I push that feeling away and crawl back under the sheets next to Davy.

"Thank you for everything, Anna." I whisper as she climbs back into her bed.

"That's what friends are for."