Chapter 11: Eetu

"Sire, this is the last house on the street." Sir Reynolds joins me at my side. "Do you want to check this one, or should I?"

I yawn and stretch my back until it pops. "I'll do this one."

"We'll go prepare the horses to leave for the next town over." Sir Reynolds claps me on the shoulder as I approach the door.

My knuckles barely rap against the door twice when it swings open. At first I see no one there, but a voice draws my eyes down.

"Hello?" A petite redhead looks up at me. She's got to crane her neck to even come close to being eye level with me.

"Oh!" I exclaim in surprise. While I'm abnormally tall, the top of her head barely reaches my collarbone. "Hello, miss."

"Can I help you?" She pushes back a lock of her hair, which is so curly and so bright red it appears her whole head is on fire.

I'm distracted by her voice, her soft, silly, voluptuous voice. It fills my head, and when my head can't contain it, it takes hold of my heart, moving to my lungs. I find it hard to breathe as her sparkling brown eyes bore into me.

"Sir?" She leans against the doorframe.

"Yes! Sorry, it's been a long day." I use the first excuse that comes to mind. "I'm looking for my brother, his name is Caspian? Have you seen him? He's tall, black hair, and brown eyes."

"Kind of like you?" She gives me a once-over.

"Oh, uh, yeah. Like me."

"I'm sorry, sir, but I haven't seen your brother."

I let out a sigh that sounds as hopeless as I feel, and cast my gaze down at my shoes.

"Come inside." The redhead puts her hand on my shoulder.

"I... I don't know if I should. I don't even know your name."

"Coraene."

"Pardon?"

"My name is Coraene. Though, most people just call me Cora."

"Cora. A pretty name for a pretty girl."

"Don't make me regret this, sir." Coraene smiles as she pulls me into her house.

I steal one last look at the sunset before Coraene leads me into the kitchen.

"Let me make you some tea." She pours some water into a kettle and sets it over the fire.

"You don't have to do this, Cora." I stand awkwardly by her side.

"You're going to keep searching all of Cirn until you find your brother. I'm making you tea, and there's nothing you can do about it, sir." She lets out a little laugh as she takes my hand and forces me to sit at her table.

I wait in silence until she slides a small chalice over to me. Its aroma fills the air as I raise the glass to my lips and feel the warm liquid slide down my throat.

Coraene comes into view with a wide smile when I lower the glass.

"Th- thank you." I stutter a bit, which makes her laugh. Her laugh reminds me of the fluttering flutes of Itriiraea, high pitched, but melodic all the same.

"I suppose you'll want to take a look around to make sure I'm not hiding anything from you?" She asks as I finish the tea.

"I probably should." I stand and let her show me around.

When there's no one besides us here, though it shouldn't surprise me, I sigh heavily as I sink back into the chair.

"Sir, I'm sure your brother will turn up eventually." Coraene's fingers appear in view on my shoulder. "I'm sorry I couldn't be of more assistance."

"It's not your fault, Cora." I take her hand tentatively. "Thank you for the tea."

She nods as she leads me to the door. Freezing wind stops me in my tracks. It flings my cape to the side with such force I nearly go with it.

"Stay, sir." Coraene's whisper grounds me. Her arms slide under mine, pulling me close to her chest, where I can feel her heart beating nearly as fast as mine. I'm powerless, so with a little glance to her, I let Coraene take me inside.

"I can just crash here." I gesture to the ground at the foot of her bed.

"No, sir." Coraene's pale cheeks are flushed pink.

"Oh..." I piece together what she's suggesting. She takes my hands, coming closer to me. Our chests are pressed together when I finally find myself able to form coherent words. "My men can wait for a night."