Chapter 14: Caspian

"Cas?" I hear Davy's voice as he comes back up the stairs. "I'm back. Are you okay?"

I can't answer him. I want to, I really want to. Why can't I speak?

My head is full of pressure and all I want to do is curl up and slowly die. I can't even think straight, my thoughts are all jumbled and that makes everything worse. I need a way out of this.

While Davy was gone, I pinched the palm of my hand, fighting pain with more pain. I ran my hands through my hair, looking for something to do with my hands to distract myself.

"Cas?" Davy's fingers brush up against my chin. I feel my face being angled, probably so Davy can see me.

I can't see. I mean, I can see, but my brain doesn't register what I'm seeing as actual objects.

"Cas? Are you okay?" Davy is frantic now. He's got both hands on my cheeks, his forehead against mine, and yet, somehow, I still can't answer him.

"Please, please, please, answer me." He begs me. I try to speak, but no sounds come out. I'm numb.

Breathing is hard. I want it to stop.

"Cas, please, just let me know that you're okay."

His voice is getting father away. I don't like that. I feel him against me, but his voice might as well be calling me from Yna.

"Stay here." I manage to croak out those two words. I didn't mean to, but they just spilled out.

Davy reacts differently than I thought he would. I can't see his face, but he lights up immediately. I can feel the relief radiating off of him. I start to feel better.

It's not until Davy kisses me that I notice he's still holding my face in his hands. My brain stops working long enough to let me focus on how he feels.

His hands are rough and callused, but his lips are the softest things I've ever felt. They're salty, I've made him cry. He's nervous at first, but eases into it as he realizes that I'm not pulling away.

When I open my eyes, I can actually see him. The deep-set anxiety still resides in my chest, weighing down on my stomach, making it hurt to breath deep. But I don't care. I have Davy.

"You never answered my question. Are you okay?" He asks me, still holding me close.

"Kind of?" I can finally speak. Everything is slowly falling into place, my heart settles back into it's normal pace, but breathing is still hard. "I don't know how to describe it."

"Then don't talk. Focus on what makes you feel safe."

"I don't have to search too hard." I reach up and take one of Davy's hands in mine.

"Hey, guys, I'm here, too. Davy, I don't know why you dragged me down here, you seem like you've got it under control." Anna makes her presence known.

"Sometimes I get pretty bad, so it's always a good idea to assume the worst when this happens to me. That's just what Davy did." I finally tear my eyes away from Davy's to look Anna. She looks like she's struggling to keep her composure.

"So this is a thing that happens a lot?"

"Every once in a while, my brain just decides to stop processing things correctly and I just... fall apart."

"But are you okay?" She actually looks concerned.

I take one look at Davy. "Yeah, I'm okay."