Closer to the Truth

It was now the day before the school's dance that was to come the following night, as students excitedly conversed about the event. Anywhere one went, the conversation would be about the dance. Most of the time, it's as if nothing else mattered at the moment.

Not only was the dance special to the students, but to the school as well. The district never had enough funding to make their annual dances "fun and hip," as kids phrase it, but thanks to the many fundraisers, the students now had the opportunity to add in their own inputs when it came to planning the dance. Plus, since the community was already very close with one another, it wasn't a problem when it came to working together.

Those were the thoughts of Simon Seville as he walked through the school's hallway, eyeing the many crowds of students, all talking about the same thing.

It wasn't a surprise to him when Dave announced their gig the previous night, knowing this had "Alvin" written all over it. But he was a bit shocked when he discovered that everyone else was in on it, excluding himself. After they had rehearsed for a while, The Chipettes had come clean about being a part of Alvin's plan. Even Theodore was in on it, which was a bit of a surprise.

But the only other chipmunk in the room who was just as confused as he was Jeanette.

Which is the reason why Simon was eyeing everyone around the hallway, hoping to find Jeanette among any group of kids. He had hoped to have a word with her before lunch was over, and it definitely wasn't about rehearsals. Simon had grown a bit curious about Jeanette's sudden change in behavior lately, which began to worry him. She was known for being a bit shy around anyone, but she had never shown any sign of an introverted personality around him, until now. Usually he was the one who was a nervous wreck around her, but he learned to keep his cool (most of the time). It's as if he suddenly rubbed on Jeanette, causing her to act much worse than he did. He thought of a possible reason for her behavior, but found the idea absurd. Why would she like him in that way?

Simon checked his phone's clock, seeing that he only had about 15 minutes until class.

"I think instead of wasting your time around here, you should probably check outside."

Simon quickly turned around, only to find Eleanor skipping up to him. The chipette smiled at her friend,
"I heard you were looking for Jean. I'm kinda doing that myself..." She explained as they began walking side by side.

"I've tried calling her, but she must have left her phone in her locker." Simon shrugged. It had only been one attempt, since he didn't want to be seen as annoying if he constantly called her.

Eleanor nodded. "Well, it's not like her to be in here. She's usually outside, but I've already checked every tree around school! I was hoping she was with you, but I guess not."

That made Simon raise a brow in question, his heart skipping a beat faster than usual. Now why did this information interest him so much?

"Now why would she be with me? Of course she any friend and all, b-but we don't really see each other until the Environmental club.." Simon stuttered, his cheeks beginning to change in color.

Eleanor was quick to notice his sudden change in tone, smirking at the nervous wreck.
"Oh no reason, I mean...what else would she be doing? Since there's no more excuses of missing the dance, I thought she'd be picking out a last minute wardrobe. Speaking of which," Eleanor crossed her arms in question,

"Shouldn't you be doing the same? You technically have to go with us now, for Dave's sake."

Simon sighed at the thought of now having no choice but to spend some money on a new vest. As much as he liked a new set of clothes, he didn't really have much for this certain occasion. He already had the option to reserve the bow tie he found that day when Marina was in class, but now it meant that he had to model for her the afternoon before the dance, along with everyone else who reserved any piece of clothing or accessory from her. It was going to be like some sort of fashion show, according to Ms. Smith, but she didn't put much detail into it.

"Well, I'll probably hit the mall this afternoon." Simon began, "if Alvin isn't there to judge my tastes in fashion, then I should be done in no time."

"Cool! Maybe I should tag along? I already picked out my outfit, and I got nothing better to do!" Eleanor offered. In truth, she only wanted to tag along just to make sure Simon picked out something she knew her sister would appeal to.

"It would be any trouble for you? I'm not exactly a 'fashionable' kind of guy.." Simon raised a brow.

Eleanor shook it off, "nonsense! I could help you pick out something nice! I'd have Brittany do it, but she's basically like Alvin." She rolled her eyes, knowing that when it came to the pair, both Alvin and Brittany loved to critique any of their choices in fashion, mainly their siblings'.

"Well, I'd really appreciate Eleanor, thank you." Simon smiled, "at least now I know the dance won't be a complete bore with you three around.." He was about to add in something, until the two heard the bells beginning to ring, signaling the 30 minute break officially over.

"Darn! We probably should have been looking for her while we discussed this.." Eleanor sheepishly grinned.

"Oh there's no problem. I could talk to her after school. There's no rush!" Simon reassured as they headed to their lockers. This now interested Eleanor.

"May I be so bold to ask this, but what did you two want to talk about?" She innocently asked. Simon immediately froze again, hoping she wouldn't ask, but she did.

"W-Well...not to be rude, but I'd rather not say..."

His response only made Eleanor even more curious.

"Aw come on, Si!" She grinned, using his nickname, "You can tell me! I'm not Brittany, so my lips are sealed!" Ellie put a hand on her mouth, imitating a zipper closing.

Still not convinced, Simon shook his head as he stood in front of his locker, retrieving his things.

"Perhaps at a later time. Right now really isn't the best."

Eleanor did the same, rolling her eyes in response.

"Ughh, fiiine. But you're going to have to tell me eventually, Seville." Ellie poked his chest playfully, "if it has to do with my sister, then I must know what's up!" She grinned as she closed her locker and skipped ahead, leaving Simon behind.

Simon took one last glance at her and sighed. Perhaps it was time to finally tell someone how he truly felt about his friend's older sister. The blue clad chipmunk quickly rushed into class, not wanting to be late.

-

Author's Note: Hey! So I'm not dead. :D Sorry for the extremely long wait! I posted a status update with more details, but thank you all for your patience! Expect more from me soon!