Chapter two

It was the next day at school, extremely hot out. I panted as I continued my run to school. Even if I don't eat I have to be some what healthy. From my house to the school was a little over a mile, so running without stopping only took me nine minutes or so, depending on the temperature and stuff. I hurried to my locker and quickly opened it. "Locker code 13,4,20" I said to myself quietly I was still learning it. When vampires don't eat it there is more than just a physical change, memory loss, sight loss, just all around many things you need to survive. I grabbed out a small bottle of pills and counted how many I had left before pouring one in my hand. I brought it to my mouth and swallowed it before taking a sip of my water bottle. Suddenly someone touched my shoulder making me jump. I dropped a few pills on the floor and quickly turned around. It was the kid, Ashton. I bent down and quickly tried to scoop some capsules in my hand. He stared down at me as I turned around sticking my bottle of pills in my locker.

"W-What's up?" I asked quietly shutting the locker door. He stared at me with a questionable look.

"I just wanted to say thank you for helping me in the bathroom with.. you know" He said and I nodded.

"Well yea no problem" I said beginning to walk away but some reason he continued to walk behind me, talking about where he is this period. When I got to my classroom I turned around to look at him and the bell rang. He gave me a small smile and waved goodbye as he ran down the hall way to his classroom. I walked in my class and sat down. Probably the main reason I hated first period was because my teacher called on me a lot and made me sit up front. She says "Anyone can overcome shyness with just a little push" Maybe she should fucking realize I'm not shy or antisocial. I'm also not anorexic, human food just won't do me any good and the scars on my hand... Well not self harm due to cause satisfaction only to try and eat without the hurting of others. Obviously, I can't tell anyone that. I'd be locked up in some type of mental institution or maybe even killed as a threat to society. Something of those sorts. 

 I quickly grabbed out last night's homework and fixed myself beginning to do the class' do now. I heard conversation engaging in the back of the class. Mostly about other people but only one name really stuck out to me, Ashton's. A jock behind me talked about the torturous things he had planned to do to him, earning the laughs and cheers of the other sports. Tensing in my seat I tried to only ignore it knowing that if I were to turn around I would cause trouble not only for myself. I stopped writing the question and placed my pencil in the crease of the notebook listening carefully to each detail of the planned attack. A short tease next period and then the full on beating as he leaves the school building to walk home. It made my blood boil seeing how confident the young man was about hurting someone else. How perfectly he has described it, and how the image of Ashton passed around in my head. He seemed like a nice kid, sure I don't know him well but in the short time I've talked to him he seemed like a decent person. After a few more vivid descriptions the bell rang and they all found their seats, separating and ending the conversation.

"Good morning students" A cheerful Mrs.Lowper spat as she walked in the room. Hearing the clicks of her high heels hit on the floor. I watched her as she put down her things and started to fix the big bun on top of her head. Even though she started her lesson off I couldn't help but picture Ashton. It wasn't that I cared about him, but I don't think any person would be able to hear what I did without wanting to protect him from them.

"Mr.Clifford I see you passing through the day with day dreaming. How about you pay attention to the lesson because it could probably help you in the future" She says with a small smile and I just stare at her quietly before staring down at my paper.

"I won't let them hurt him" I whispered to myself and after a few seconds of silence I sat up straight and looked at the board beginning to take in the information. Geometry, something even the simplest person could take. It wasn't any type of challenging math, the only reason I'm not in accelerated classes is for the obvious lack of participation. Surprisingly you need that to get good grades. A few minutes after the talk Mrs. Lowper had with me I continued to fall back into my day dream, imagining about Ashton. I guess the only reason it bugged me so much is because I know how it was to be bullied.

Even when I was only a kid people would hurt me physically and mentally making me dread the days I had to see their laughing faces. I hate the fact that people can feel such power they use it to hurt other people. In reality, I can kill anyone with just a small bite to the neck, I guess some people don't take it under consideration the strength other people have. Finally for what seemed like forever the bell rang instantly making me jump up. I walked through the hallway trying to see if somehow I would pass by Ashton. Suddenly I heard the yelling of names and curse words coming from the kids in my class. I froze just staring as they pushed him around yelling how worthless he was. Standing there clutching onto his books with a sad look suddenly I ran over and grabbed the main guy by his collar. Spinning him around, my fist hit with his face and as his other friends tried to hurt me I did the same. I looked at them all and Ashton watched with a face of shock. Grabbing up the first kid I slammed him against the locker and whispered to him with the most serious tone.

"Ashton is off limits. Bully someone else but you don't go near him or else I will seriously hurt you" I yelled and the hallways were quiet as he nodded in defeat and slid down the lockers. They quickly scattered away and I stared at Ashton, catching my breath and clutching my fist. He smiled at me with tears of joy in his eyes and a bright red shade crossing his cheeks. 

"I don't have any words" He whispered and I smiled.

"They shouldn't be harassing you Ashton. You don't deserve it" I said feeling myself almost fall. It wasn't good for me to do quick motion with how weak I was already. 

"Thank you Michael. Can I take you out for lunch or something after school?" I laughed a little at his kind gesture, it was sweet but I wasn't very into it.

"No you don't have to do anything for me. I just-" I bit my lip a little smiling "I don't want to see anymore scars on you not only from yourself but from anyone in this school, I'm here for you Ashton and I'll kick anyone's ass who hurts you" I said and he smiles holding his books to his chest.

"I'm not sure if this is a weird question or not but are we friends?" 

"I guess so. I've never really had a friend so I'm not sure" I laughed and he nodded.

"Yea me neither" I smiled as the bell rang making us both look up. 

"Come on I'll walk you to second period, friend" I smirked and stuck out my arm for him to take. He gladly connected his arm with mine and we walked down the hallway to his class room.