|05|

"I made you some coffee," Allie says, sliding the cup over the wooden table towards her dad as he enters their kitchen. She brings her own cup closer to her mouth and sips, closing her eyes and taking comfort from the warmth in her stomach.

"Thank you, dear," her father murmurs and sits in front of her.

He hasn't shaved his face, and the sleeping bags under his eyes look even deeper today. Apparently he didn't sleep enough last night either... Luckily he hadn't seen her coming back home so late, wearing clothes soaked in water.

"Are you hungry? Do you want me to make you something?" He asks her.

"No," Allie says with a yawn. "Thanks."

They don't do breakfast. Not anymore. None of them wants to start the morning trying to prove their lack of cooking skills, but it still doesn't stop him from asking her this every day.

Allie looks down at her watch.

"It's nice of him to give you a lift every morning..."

"Dad," Allie says while rolling her eyes. "Lane is my friend."

Her father shrugs. "I'm just saying... our street is not even in his direction, and he's still happy to make a long turn every single morning."

"It's not that long..." she mumbles over her cup.

"I'm just glad that Florence saved me The Conversation and talked with you about boys' stuff," he says. Casually.

Allie almost chokes on her coffee. She is not sure whether it's because he mentioned her mother or the topic of a sex conversation- and with Lane being the reason!

Does her father ever filter between what he thinks and what comes out of his mouth?

Probably not. That would be too much for him.

To her relief, she hears the beep of Lane's familiar car outside her house, which means the conversation is over.

"I'm going now," she says, pulling her bag over her shoulder.

"Goodbye dear, and good luck at school," her father says, staring at the wall, his eyes dreamy as always.

Allie gives him a faint smile and walks out quickly.

She will definitely need good luck today.