(VI) Mystery

Tuesday/August 23, 1988/Dortmund, West Germany

Four days. That's how long I was able to hold out. As soon as I got to Germany, I faxed Burberry Headquarters.

I really need 2 SEE u. Please tell me when I can b4 I leave Europe on 9/10.

I left my signature and phone number. That's it. And in an hour, she faxed back, but I didn't receive it until I returned that night to my hotel from a photoshoot.

I called. NO answer. It's your turn.

Then there was just her signature with an absent doodled heart.

I called her office first, the number on the paper's letterhead. But then when I glanced at the clock and saw 9:02 PM, I quickly redialed her house. But I still got endless ringing.

I dragged the phone to the bathroom with me, and slipped back into the tub. And then I tried calling her again. If it weren't for Kat inviting me to this wedding, I'm sure I would've been able to go on longer, but Lula was the only person I could think of that would help me get through this, without judgement.

"Hello?" I sang after a silent pick-up.

"Hey."

"Lula?"

"Yes. Sorry. Hi."

"What are you doing?"

"Getting dressed. I'm about to go out."

"With?"

"Don't."

"I wish you could jump on a plane and come out with me tonight."

"I thought we were angry with each other."

"I'm not angry with you," I told her.

"Instead, you..."

"...I..."

"...miss..."

"...you too." I noticed her soft giggle. "Can we talk about this married stuff?"

"No, Prince Rogers, we can't."

"We're gonna just ignore it?"

"Until there's a reason for me to open my mouth about it, I will remain quiet."

"There is a reason."

"What's that?"

"I want you." I swallowed my words hard. "I want...to know everything about you. So take off your dancing shoes and talk to me."