(XIV) It's In My Diet

Lord knows I just wanted to sleep. But instead, I dozed off on my living room couch, waiting for the bell. I told my guard at the gatehouse to just let Rita in.

She at least came dressed appropriately, in a teal, fitted sweater and black pants. "Can I raid your fridge? Kat had squat since she's abandoned Minneapolis completely." But the fact that Rita was so damn beautiful, perfectly curved and everything, is what had me thinking like a man. "I forgot you're a vegetarian or whatever." She slammed the door shut and went for the cabinets. "Prince, feed me."

I pushed the nasty thoughts from my mind. "There's, um..."

"Doritos!"

"Yeah." I lifted myself onto a bar stool, and folded my hands on the countertop. "Rita, what are you doing here? Seriously?"

"What?" She bit the tip of her triangular chip at hand. "Can't a girl have a sleepover with her best friend?"

"You just left your best friend."

"And that best friend rather stay up on the phone all night with her husband than pay me any mind." She grinned towards the ceiling, sucking in her cheeks. "They're so cute, though," she said to me. "They're a match made in heaven. I love them."

"Mm-hm."

"Richie was a hidden gem." She crunched two chips at once.

"So you trying to get with his best friend?"

"Jon? Gosh, no," she laughed. "I told you nothing happened. He has a girlfriend that's he been with since high school. I'm not dealing with that."

"So you've considered it?"

"No. Well, let me be honest for a second."

"Yes, let you for at least an hour."

She smiled and leaned on the counter across from me. "Working with Kat has brought me in the company of some badass dudes. And when stars are thrown at you, you're gonna wanna catch at least one. But a smart girl like myself waits for the brighter ones."

I laughed.

"What?"

"Like who?"

Giggling, she tore her eyes away from me. "Don't make this awkward," she said standing up straight.

"You would really do that to Kat?" I wasn't even smiling anymore.

"You think Kat would be upset if she found out we were messing around?"

"I know her better than you, apparently."

"No. You don't know Mrs. Katina Sambora. She is in her glory, has found the love of her life and she wants everyone to feel what she's feeling. So she's in love with love. She would be happy for us if we were to ever take it there."

"My ex-fiancé would be happy I'm dating her friend?"

"Oh, don't call her your ex-fiancé. You know you were never gonna marry her."

"Excuse me?"

"You were playing some mind game with her back then. You guys didn't even start planning, and she's a wedding planner!"

"She wasn't back then."

"She always had it in her. I'm sure there are plenty of girls you told you would marry. Probably told Lula already."