Chapter 16

A/N Hello my loves. As of the last chapter, My story has reached over 25K READS collectively on Ao3, Fanfiction, and Wattpad, MY HEART CAN'T HANDLE ALL THE LOVE! YOU GUYS MAKE ME WANT TO CRY!!! I'm also looking into professionally publishing my very own graphic novel... I don't know how I suddenly got so lucky... I couldn't do it without you. Anyways... Hope you're having a great week, and I hope you like the chapter. Till next time. <3

Tony watched as the people passed through the halls. Nurses making their rounds, people with cards, balloons. An emergency call which had the nurses running down the hall like chickens with their heads cut off. A kid who was in a wheelchair with an I.V. in her arm. Tony hoped that kid was going to be alright.

It was around midnight when he woke up and checked on Peter and May, Peter had fallen asleep too and was leaning on the arm of a cushioned chair in the corner of the room. Tony was about to go back out and sit down, when a voice spoke.

"You can stay in here for a while. They won't mind." It was May, she was awake. Tony turned back into the room.

"Did I wake you?" Tony said, worriedly. 

"No, the nurse did by stabbing me with a needle a few minutes ago." She rubbed her arm with a scowl.

"How are you feeling?" Tony was gauging whether he should let her get her rest. 

"I'm feeling fine now. The last thing I remember is that I couldn't breathe." She looked over at her sleeping nephew.

"You really scared him." He remarked. Sitting down in an aluminum chair pushed against the wall. The color had flooded back into her cheeks, he noted as he quietly scooted the chair forward.

"He's so sweet. Has he been happy living at the Tower?" She looked at him, hopeful.

"He loves it there. I think he's finally figuring himself out." They smiled and looked at the sleeping teenager.

"He's such a sweet boy. Hasn't been the same since my husband died. I think he blames himself. Though I can't see why. He couldn't have done anything."

Tony's ears perked up at the mention of Peter's dead Uncle. "What was he like before this happened?"

"Oh, he was so happy. He was part of the photography club, his best friend, Harry, moved away a few months before. So he wasn't exactly okay, Ben dying made everything worse. Since then, it's as if he holds the weight of the world on his shoulders. He's only a boy, sometimes I think he needs to remember that."

Tony sat there for a moment, contemplating that. Maybe this kid needed to be reminded he was just a kid.

"I'mma get a coffee. You want anything?" He felt

"Oh, I think the Doctor would throw a fit." She grinned as she leaned forward, her gleaming eyes flickering towards the door.

"Black, one packet of Sweet-N-Low." She winked. The corners of her eyes turned upward kindly.

"Got it. Can't live without the caffeine." And he made a trip to the coffee machine in the cafeteria and came back, with two styrofoam cups filled with steaming coffee in hand.

Peter had woken up and and was sitting in the aluminum chair. He suddenly felt like he could breathe again, he grabbed her hand. Relieved and hopeful that she was talking and looked to be almost back to her normal self.

Tony placed the coffee on a tray table beside her, sitting down at the chair near the window. He had switched places with Peter.

"What is this, coffee? The last thing you need right now is coffee." He grabbed the cup, and before he knew what was happening, despite his Spidey-Senses, Aunt May still managed to snatch it out of his hand. 

"Peter Parker, I've had a cup of coffee every morning for over fifty years. Trust me, if I'm going to take my last breath, It's not going to be because of a cup of damn coffee." She punctuated the rant with a defiant sip. 

"You are one scary lady, Aunt May." Peter threw his hands up in defeat. Shrugging, he sat back and stuffed them into his hoodie pouch.

Tony took a sip of coffee, an amused grin on his face.This was family. He thought. They didn't say much for the rest of the fluorescent-lit night. 

Then the sun started to rise, and the natural light, filtering through the window, slowly replaced the harsh, washed out, synthetic feeling of the hospital around them.