Chapter 17

A/N I'm back! :) Hope you all had an an amazing December and a wonderful Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Yule, or whatever you celebrate. I had a very loving and joyful time with my family. Updates to come on my webcomic when I get the drawings finished.

The day after, May got the go ahead to be able to leave the hospital. Peter happily walked her to the car and handed her bag to Happy to put in the trunk. He knew he would probably be giving up his internship. But none of that mattered as long as May had someone with her.  They got in the car and headed to Queens. 

Once they got there Happy unloaded the bags as Peter let May out as she walked around to chat with the driver. Peter took Tony aside and 

"Mr. Stark, I'm going to have to quit the internship. She needs someone to make sure she's okay. I couldn't live with myself if something happened to her and I wasn't around."

Tony looked around for a moment, looking sad for a split second, and then nodding understandingly.

"I understand. Do what you feel is right, we'll miss you kid. Take care of the old bird, she sure loves you. If you decide to leave, swing by and grab your stuff." Tony climbed back into the car and it drove off down the street.

May walked upstairs while Peter carried the luggage, once they got inside, Peter brought her suitcase to her room and started to put her clothes away. She shooed him out of her room after she realized what he was doing. 

Peter flipped on the coffee pot, the heavy aroma filled the room and calmed him down. May walked in and looked in the fridge.

"Shouldn't you be getting back?" She dried a bowl and put it in the cabinet.

"That's the thing... I'm not going back." He gave her cheeky look.

"Oh, no." She chuckled wryly. "If you think you're going to give up your fancy internship to take care of me, you're in for a smacking." She grabbed a coffee mug that was sitting inside the sink. 

"Aunt May, I couldn't live with myself if-" Peter tried to calmly rationalize.

"Don't be stupid!" She snapped, slamming a plastic bowl on the counter, she turned to face him, glaring daggers at her nephew. She sighed and smiled as she grabbed Peters hand. "Don't you worry about me. Be selfish for once. You need this internship." 

Peter sat down on the old window-seat at the end of the hall. The light from the window shined in his face. May sat down next to him, handing him a light orange mug filled with coffee. Both pairs of eyes fell upon Avengers Tower. 

"Don't let me keep you from doing something you love, that's something I couldn't live with." She traced circles on the back of his hand with her thumb. 

"Aunt May, I couldn't leave you," His eyes burned as he looked into her kind, pale-green orbs. "Not after Uncle Ben..." His voice cracked as his throat let out a dry shaky breath. "If something happened to you." His face felt hot with tears as May smiled and pressed her hand to his face, wiping a tear from his cheek. 

"I'm Sixty-Four, I've still got a good twenty years left on my clock. You go and live your life. I know that Tony Stark likes you, he sure needs your help, he's a very busy man."

He agreed and decided ultimately to spend the night. But he couldn't sleep so he decided to return to Avengers tower, he slowly made his way to the big building and was greeted by J.A.R.V.I.S, who loudly announced it was 2:37 a.m. 

As he begrudgingly made his way down the hall to his apartment he grew less excited at the prospect of sleep. He slipped the Spider-Man suit on and J.A.R.V.I.S made an offhanded comment about how his exhaustion levels were too high to go out as the webslinger.

He was exhausted, but he needed fresh air, he popped the window latch open and scaled the side of the Avengers tower, climbing higher and higher. He climbed until he was balancing on the top of the radio antenna at the very top of the building. 

He could see almost all of New York from up so high, the lights from all corners of the city shined in his eyes and made him forget about Aunt May for a while. He noted there was a fog over the Bay and creeping into the city. 

Off in the distance, he heard police sirens. He decided to jump into action and climbed down onto the Avengers A. He checked his web fluid and dove off the neon blue letter and into the city below.