Chapter Twenty-Three

12/25/16

12/25/16

"HAVE YOU EVER been to one of their parties before?" I ask Grayson tentatively. We are both sitting in one of the large bathrooms in front of the vanity finishing up our makeup. Nerves run through me in anticipation for the night ahead of us. The Hasting Christmas party is one of the most talked about events in Easton.

The day passed quickly with a big delicious breakfast, and gifts and laughs under the massive tree. But the morning then turned to everyone running around and getting ready for the evening ahead of us. Another type of get together, only way more lavish and with a ton of people with way too much money.

After layering on some mascara Grayson answers my question. "Small get togethers but nothing like this," she explains examining her makeup in the mirror carefully.

"Oh," I breathe hating the way the nerves fill me like water levels raising in the ocean.

She waves her hand dismissively. "Don't worry we'll have fun," she assures me easily.

I nod. "I know, just something about tonight is making me nervous," I admit with a deep breath.

Grayson's eyes narrow in on me through the mirror. "Maybe because Chase's parents love you and they have no idea their son is involved in a fake relationship," she states her tone edged with rich cynicism.

"Wow," I trail slowly. "Sarcastic Grayson making a come back," I play with a raised brow.

"Oh, don't worry she's alive and well," she smiles teasingly at me.

"I can see that," I drawl. "And yes that may be a part of it, but I don't know I'm just so nervous," I add falling back to my original emotions that seem to be overwhelming me today.

"Don't be Hayley," she assuages calmly. "Just smile and dance and have no more then two drinks and you will be fine," she tells me.

"Two drinks?" I question drawing my eyebrows together.

"One can never be drunk at a public affair," Grayson states with a posh accent like she's reading a rule out of a book.

"What?" I ask with a small chuckle.

"You can thank my mother for my forced etiquette lessons," she says with a roll of her eyes.

"Thanks Mrs. Kennings," I mutter as I stand up from the vanity and make my way to the room both of our dresses are hanging in.

I slowly unzip the garment bag hanging up to reveal the dress Mrs. Hasting insisted on purchasing for me. It was far from the most expensive option I had to talk her down from, but still the most expensive dress or clothing item I've ever had on my body. It fits me like a glove though, like it was made just for me.

Grayson makes her way into the room and unzips her bag showing off a black velvet dress with what seems to be a pretty deep V in the front. She pulls the dress out and runs her hands over the exquisite fabric.