13. After school

Start song: necromancer by joy again

When Tyler had first started high school he was nervous, he'd been homeschooled all his life because his mom had been too over protective of him and he hadn't really had any friends. So when his mom told him he was going to public school a while new set of nerves made an appearance.

His new school wasn't small either and on his first day he felt like he was going to cry, he wasn't ready and when his mom told him to get out of the car he froze, his fingers tightening around the straps of his backpack. Tyler didn't understand why he was being forced to go to public school and he ended up just skipping his first day. His mom felt bad and brought him to McDonald's for a happy meal and they didn't tell his dad about it.

His dad would've been upset, he had a lack of sympathy for Tyler unlike his mom.

His freshman year ended up being the best year of his life though, he was the popular kid, on the basketball team and his grades were okay. He was doing okay for himself and he'd vowed that for the rest of his high school experience that he'd stay on top of things and make sure he had a good year every year.

And then senior year came around and he was most definitely not on top of things, he was behind on school work in most of his classes, basketball, something he used to love was starting to feel more like a chore as he went to practice nearly everyday and if he didn't have practice with his team he'd practice on his own time.

And so far he was constantly in a smaller headspace than he needed to be in to do normal things.

But today he woke up late for school again, it was becoming more and more of a recurrence as the school year progressed. It wasn't that he didn't sleep well, no Tyler slept too well. And then he just couldn't wake up, his parents used to be his alarm clocks but now that they weren't he was constantly sleeping in.

What made today worse was that he wasn't late for school but for basketball practice which he also got out late of. Which meant to compensate he was late for class, Mr.Dun's class specifically. Which admittedly sucked because he'd be the center of attention the moment he walked into class and he'd have to face Mr.Dun.

The only teacher who had seen him in pyjamas.

"Tyler, nice of you to join us." Was the comment he was unsurprisingly met with, along with the eyes of all his peers. Not including his teachers smiles, it wasn't anything mean. More-so passive agressive, Tyler had told Mr.Dun basketball wouldn't interfere with school yet here he was late to class because of it.

They had locked eyes for a moment and Tyler didn't want to look away, there was something about him but Tyler quickly nodded instead of staring as he shuffled over to his desk in embarrassment. He didn't understand why he only messed up in this class, maybe it was karma for having the tiniest crush on his teacher.

Mr.Dun's eyes flickered towards him before he was addressing the class again. Tyler couldn't help but look at Jenna for reassurance, she wasn't there today. "Now as I was saying, I want everyone to come see me about their essays, come talk to me about your thesis and sub-arguments and I'll try and see if there's anywhere you can improve."

"My job as a teacher is to help make things easier and deepen your understanding so don't be afraid to ask questions or ask for help. I'm here for all of you."