24. Girlfriend? Boyfriend? Partner?

Start song: crush by tessa violet

it's sort of long but not really?

His mom had never really been invested in his social life, sure she asked him about his friends occasionally but considering she knew everyone he hung out with there really wasn't a reason for her to question who he was hanging out, because really; he didn't have many options. He was even happier that she'd never really asked him about girlfriends or boyfriends either, considering she had always been much more interested in knowing about how his basketball team was doing.

In all honesty he liked it this way, he liked how impersonal all of their conversations were. Which in the long run made him very uncomfortable talking about himself because mostly, when he talked to his parents he told them things about other people and not so much about himself.

So considering everything, he figured he'd never have to have another one of those awkward talks about wether or not he was seeing someone, Tyler thought he had a pretty good poker face, and he was also sure that he was consistent as a person in terms of smiling and happiness. Generally, he thought he was acting the same.

So when his mom did ask him if he was seeing someone at breakfast one morning, he kind of gaped in surprise at her because what was giving her the impression that he was in a relationship? He hadn't ever mentioned anything, that was for sure.

"Huh?" Tyler said, just to make sure he'd heard her clearly.

His mother sighed and took another sip of her morning coffee. "Any girlfriends?" She asked again. Tyler paled, it was almost painful to hear. For a moment he considered lying and just telling her yes he was dating Jenna actually, and yes they were very happy but that seemed like an awful idea and an awful situation to put himself into.

Considering that he was sort of seeing someone and if he did use Jenna like that (Because yeah, that would definitely be using her) he'd then be stuck in a lie.

Tyler awkwardly looked at his bowl of oatmeal and scratched at his head not willing to look at her as he replied. "Uh-No. I do not have a girlfriend." He gazed up, looking at the wall behind his mom. "I don't have time for a relationship like that."

"Boyfriend?" She asked next, completely unbothered. Just curious.

"Mom."  Tyler groaned, blushing as Josh came to mind. He was beyond embarrassed and definitely not ready to come out despite knowing his parents were far from being homophobic. He wasn't scared he just didn't want to have to worry about it. "I'm not seeing anybody,"

"Sorry." She smiled. "Just wondering."

"Well you can stop wondering." He sighed, slightly annoyed. Honestly why did it even matter? Even if he did have a boyfriend (He sort of did?) or a girlfriend, why would it be anyone's business but his and his partners especially if they were keeping their relationship a secret.

"Well i've got to head to work, your dad should be down soon. He said he'd drop you off at school this morning." His mom said as she grabbed her car keys off the counter along with her coffee.

Tyler sighed, he did not want to spend 15 minutes in a car with his dad. But, it was better than walking to school, that would take a long time and he'd definitely be late even if he left now. "Great." He smiled at his mom. "Have a nice day at work, love you."