15. Discomfort

Start song: anything by catfish and the bottleman

point out typos, y'all can all be my editors

His dad was sat in the recliner that his mom had pushed into the corner when she had been rearranging the living room.

Unsurprisingly he was still dressed in his suit and tie, honestly Tyler couldn't remember him wearing anything else. Casual clothing didn't exist in their small family of three, he was sure their closet was all work clothes. He had only been in his parents bedroom a few times though so he really wouldn't know.

His dad being here was weird though, almost uncomfortable. He felt weird and he couldn't help the sinking feeling in his stomach as he nodded at his father in acknowledgment and sat down on the couch across from him. Naturally he was drinking wine, fingers gently holding the glass. Tyler felt anxious.

It had been a few months since he'd last seen him and when his dad had been in town last time it had only for a week. They'd eaten dinner together in silence and he'd pestered him about starting his senior year off right. Which was normal for him, ever since he'd started high school basketball had been the only thing of importance within his family.

Basketball was the only way he'd succeed at life apparently.

In his dads opinion anyways.

He barely had any fond memories that he shared with his father, not that he really cared at this point. Over the years of constant disappointment he'd grown to resent his dad.  The only good memories were from when he was little.

Growing up changed everything, his dad became more worried about his future than the present. Which if he was being honest, fucked him up more than he'd like to admit. He felt like he didn't have a father as much as he had a boss. Which admittedly, he hated. Tyler didn't understand why he ended up barely having a relationship with his dad, even though the reason felt obvious. It hurt him to think about.

Which is why most of the time he didn't think about his dad and considered his mom as his only parent.

So as he stared at his dad, feeling sick to his stomach he really didn't know what to say. He felt like a stranger was in his home and he hated it. He doubted his father even knew where the towels were stored anymore.

"Why are you home so late?" His father asked carefully after moments of silence, he was seemingly as unexcited as Tyler was. He sounded almost bored.

He had a viable question though, Tyler wasn't bothered. This was okay, small talk would be fine. "Study session with my teacher." He shrugged trying not to blush at the reminder of his time spent with Mr.Dun.

There was a nod and then a sip of wine. "I'm glad you're finally willingly taking an interest in your studies."

Tyler couldn't not frown. "I've always taken an interest in school."

"Sorry, sorry, wrong choice of words." His dad shook his head. "You just usually don't stay at school late unless it's for basketball."

He got something right for once and Tyler automatically pinned the blame on his dad for him even being on the team. Really he could peg the blame on all of his family and the stigma they'd created about the importance of basketball but he didn't want to do that.

Silence plagued the room once again until Tyler's curiosity got the best of him. His dad rarely ever came home unless it was around the holidays. To his knowledge the only holiday coming up was halloween. Which in his parents opinion didn't exactly count.