3 - Grim Reaper

It wasn't that she was doubtful of her talents. Mayu Schicksal makes a good soldier, but Tsubaki's hesitation lies in the little girl's age—twelve. True that she had worked with Soma when he was that age, but said God Eater is an entirely different level. Mayu is different. She's still a child—are her parents even sane enough to send her out to the field at such a young age?

Although, her concern could do nothing much. The Director himself approved, even looking forward to what surprises a young child holds. As a commanding officer, she doesn't have much of a choice.

She wouldn't call the girl's skill as 'best', but there is nothing actual combat couldn't fix. Still, at this age, is she prepared for the dangers of the Far East? Green eyes watched as the girl in question tore through the remaining of the target dummies with much ease, clearing the field of any more threats. Tsubaki wouldn't lie. For her age, she is impressive. It was almost as though this child had been trained her whole life for the very day she will be allowed to wield a God Arc. Of course, these assumptions of hers lie simply on the test simulations she ran with the young girl against a couple of different Aragamis. Tsubaki had made sure to include every possible situation that could come up on the field, and they were aced—most of them at least. As it may seem, massive Aragamis are a little bit of a problem.

"Alright, that is all for the day," the woman finally said as she pressed a button, making the entire simulation vanish. "I'll have a few final discussions with Director Sakaki and then from there, we'll work out on your assignment to active duty."

"Thank you very much!" She beamed, bending over to bow. There was the unhidden chirpiness and joy within the young blonde that she didn't miss, as she watched her leave the training room.

Perhaps Tsubaki should put more trust in those soldiers. They know themselves best, after all.

Sighing, she left the control room and marched for the Director's office.

There was something in the Director's smile when he described the little girl to her for the first time. The way he said she was 'special' certainly sounded different than any other times in the past. His gaze was distant, as though he was seeing a clear view years into the future, expecting great things from a small child, like he always do with the other God Eaters who had gone through her.

But the glint in his eyes were... unusual. Each of the members of the First Unit had been labeled special at some point during their recruitment, and they have proven themselves worthy of such compliment over time. What surprises does Mayu Schicksal have in store for the Far East Branch?

"She's a fast learner, isn't she?" The man mused. "Wasn't the recent session of a higher caliber than the ones you've given Annette and Federico?"

"It was," the woman replied, noticing the expectant smile he was wearing. "And yet, she had completed them without a snitch." Almost as though she was levels ahead of her age.

It was Director Sakaki who wished Mayu be placed to active duty as soon as possible. It was him who so desired to see both God Arc and beacon in action. Perhaps there really is something special that he sees in the child for him to be this interested... this invested. "Just who is this girl, Director?"

Green eyes once again caught sight of that strange glint. "A God Eater child, to answer in the simplest of words."

****

They couldn't believe how awry this one mission went in split second. As soon as he had assured that the Hannibal will not regrow a core, he left the beast's corpse and ran to where Kota hovered over Alisa on one safe side of the abandoned city. "How is she holding up?" The raven-haired male immediately asked, although the answer itself was visible right in front of his golden eyes.