13 - Gathering

"You sure look pleased, don't you?" Soma ignored the voice and continued walking, not wanting to be hindered by any negative thoughts. "I bet you're so at ease thinking your precious Sunflower is out of danger now; that she's sitting right next to a happily-ever-after flag." He tried to make sure it doesn't change his expression at the slightest, to show that he isn't affected by anymore taunts. "Well, I have news for you—" He stopped. "—it's just a silly dream for you both."

This time, he turned towards the Devil leaning on the wall, his lips curved to a frown. "I have a busy day ahead," he said. "I'm not letting you ruin it for me, asshole."

"Huh," C mused. "Aren't you supposed to be thanking me? I brought her back home."

"You're also the reason Kota is in this situation," the male hissed. "Your fucking 'good deed' is nullified."

Before the sly information broker could say anything else, Soma continued down the hall. With Sakuya and Lindow still out of the Den, and Kota currently missing in action, their section of the premises has fallen unusually silent. It gives him the strange feeling of being in a completely alien place. Finally, the dark-skinned God Eater arrived at his destination, and quietly waited for the door to open.

He wasn't expecting to see such a mess of clothes scattered across the floor, blankets unkempt, and dishes waiting to be cleaned on the sink. "Good morning, Dad. Are you looking for mom?" Sometimes, it still baffles him how Mayu had quickly adapted to this family-situation; he still hasn't completely. The young girl was sitting on the couch, hunched over a cup of hot chocolate and peering up at him with round blue eyes. "She was summoned to Director Sakaki's office. You missed her."

"No, I don't," Soma quickly replied with a frown, walking into the room and picking up the pieces of fabric laying on the floor.

Mayu blinked up at him. "Oh, did you bump on each other along the way?"

He stopped, straightening himself. "What?" And only then did the word sink in. The man hurriedly returned to work, tossing the pile on his arms over to one corner of the room. "No, I... Yeah, I missed her," he managed, earning a delighted giggle. "But she's coming back here anyway—"

"Of course! Mom always comes back home to Dad, right?"

The male flinched at the attack, eyes narrowing slightly to small glares. Yet Soma said nothing to retaliate. Can he still believe it though? After the incident at Aegis Island, after the past months that she had spent hiding from them, can he still place his faith on the idea that she will always return to him, no matter what? He could no longer decipher what things could be going on inside her head. "She's been..." Mayu continued. "... very disoriented. Mom wouldn't be fine like this, would she? I'm worried."

He didn't answer, instead tucking the loose ends of the bedsheet neatly beneath the mattress. Can't say he isn't worried, but he knows it is in Yuka's character to take responsibility of things like this, whether or not she's involved. And seeing all these changes around him, he doubted she would even lend an ear to listen to him.

"By the way," the girl continued talking, "what brings you here, Dad?"

This time, the white-haired God Eater raised a brow. "Weren't you briefed? We have a mission."

Mayu almost leaped out of her seat. "Awesome!"

"You look extra chirpy for something happening every single day."

She giggled. "Because it's a mission with Mom and Dad! It's like a dream come true!" A dream come true? A death wish to others, rather. Soma found nothing delightful with the idea. Though, he wouldn't prefer having Yuka go at this mission all by herself.