11 - Déjà vu

C was staring in delight at the God Arc in her hand. In other cases, it should have devoured the pale girl whole, being an entity unrecognized to the weaponized beast. However, on the Devil's grasp, the weapon remained inactive, as though it had a mind of its own that knew this person is one not to be trifled with. "It's entertaining how they all left me here," she mused, "confident that I will buy them enough time to sort this shit out." The training room was still empty with people, and the Bias Field continues to create ripples of energy on the ground. "Seriously, they still trust me—she still trusts me." There was a small cackling sound that erupted from the information broker's lips. "I don't know if I should be shocked, pleased, or... maybe just insane because I'm talking to myself." There was another sound of laughter as C easily dismissed the Bias Field. "What they don't understand is that time isn't really a huge problem here. The idiot just needs a kick-start."

She paced the empty room. "I know you can sense me, Ánoia. I can feel you too." C shrugged, finally coming to a stop. "Well, this time, I'm going to help you out, but I expect a generous payback." She gave the God Arc on her hand one more glance before she threaded for the door. "With Licca telling Moony-kins what I did, I'm pretty sure he'd be rushing out to strangle me. Heh, best be avoiding him then."

The girl slipped past halls and corridors, not minding strange stares she was receiving from less-informed people. C hummed as she continued on her way. There are alternate routes to the laboratory, routes even the most curious like Kota don't know. After a short while of moving here and there, C arrived at the end of a hall, the section elevator sitting silently halfway across. There was no sign of Soma, nor anybody else. With quiet footsteps, she slid into the laboratory.

There were no sign of activity. A drop of a needle could easily break the silence. C waltzed past the couches and the computer, nonchalantly walking towards the door to the right. "Now then..." As soon as she spoke, teal tendrils of hair rose to action, slithering in the air as though calculating what actions the Devil might take. She paid them no attention, their possible harm not seeming to bother her at the slightest. "Remember the core you wanted so much back at Aegis?" Her lips twisted to a manic grin, as the tendrils continued to slither, a little more aggressively now. C lifted Mousy Blow.

The tendrils made a sound akin to hissing.

With neither remorse nor hesitation, she tore the core right out of the God Arc like it was paper. Naturally, the core itself protested and tried to retaliate, sending teal tendrils to bury onto the girl's pale arm. C disregarded them as she would have anything else. "Now, now, play nicely, would you?"

Her grin grew devious as she swung her arm, sending the core flying towards the unconscious boy. It landed square on his forehead, the sphere erupting into a dozen more teal tendrils that began to fight furiously against the already existing ones, like beasts trying to gain control.

She watched as the sight unfold, the Bias Field around fluctuating rapidly. The inconsistent surge of power finally converged, shortly before erupting into a blast of energy. The lights died out. The Den fell silent. "Help that idiot?" She snorted as she spun on her heel and left. "Impossible. Help the Demon save his life?" C shrugged. "The question is: will she be using this chance to save him or herself?" The Devil laughed to herself. "If that boy was right and the Demon really did fell for him—which is such a ridiculous idea—he'll have his tiny chance to survive. Otherwise, I'm going to enjoy as the idiots try to mop the floor with a monster that would make that fake Nova at Aegis look like a mere baby."

****

Mayu must have been so tired, she slept through the chaos. The entirety of the room shut down to darkness and Yuka wasn't surprised that the child didn't even stir. If anything, she is more surprised by the fact that a Bias Field can actually manipulate time, albeit to a certain degree. Why would anyone put such huge responsibility in the hands of a child? Life truly is just strange and terrifyingly cruel. Children should be allowed to enjoy this part of their lives.