12 - The Devil Walks the Earth

Time was running out.

"Are you su—?"

"Of course I am."

"Kota, you're going to be stuck with the Demon and it's—"

"I know," he cut her off immediately, flashing her a small smile. "But I'm not going to be able to get out of here either so rather than watching them like this, I'd rather do what I can to help them. Plus, it's kinda my fault they're stuck in this situation."

Ánoia frowned slightly, obviously displeased. "What..." She started, unfolding her arms. "What about your family?"

The question made his smile grow to a grin accompanied with small bits of laughter. "You'd have to explain things to them for me then." Kota shrugged. "Or you could get Yuka to do it. Oh, but at least play with Nozomi even only for a bit, okay? She's been looking forward to having you visit and she bugs me about it every time."

"Kota—"

"And I know you probably don't like my mom's cooking, but could you endure it for a bit and pretend? She's like, the best out there! Such a shame the Far East Branch isn't hiring her to take care of everyone's meals."

"Kota—"

"Ah! Lenka, Alisa and I kinda agreed we'd watch some movies this week! Do you think you could sit in for me instead? Oh, man, I was really looking forward to it!"

"Fujiki Kota!" He stopped to look at her. Ánoia was scowling. She took a deep breath, shoulders dropping, although the look of disapproval remained plastered on her face. "Are you sure you're going to be okay?" She knew the answer before she even asked, but it was more to assure herself than anything else. Kota would not be fine being around the Demon. But... If he says so himself... Ánoia received nothing but a warm smile as a response, before the redhead beckoned at her to start. It eventually grew to a grin as the Resonance took place between them, and even after the beast appeared in front of them. "Go," she heard, feeling that small push he had given her.

She could only take one final look at his smiling face, before vanishing completely. Kota then turned his attention back to the Demon in front of him, which only continued to stare back at him. Perhaps it was confused, as to how he still is alive when he shouldn't be, or maybe struck with the realization that it had been oppressed once more. He figured it was the latter, when it gave a mad, terrifying howl that would have—should have made him run with his tail between his legs.

Instead, he stood valiantly there. "So, you're the one that scares Chotte, huh?" It continued to watch him, the sense of bloodlust almost palpable. "You're the one that made her life miserable." It still did not make any kind of movement. "You know I can't stop you. What's keeping you rooted in place?"

Fool.

A lone word echoed in the God Eater's head, and he now frowned at the Demon.

Death.

It then lunged at him, numerous eyes burning with purple light. Its fingers stretched out to claws, threatening to tear his skin and flesh to shreds. However, in front of the Demon itself, Kota kept his smile—mocking, taunting. "She fought with you for so long. Do you really think she'll ever lose to you?"

****

"Did you really have to drag me here, Sunshine?" C coughed as she looked up. The Demon stood there motionlessly, and both Yuka and Soma were not too far away, keeping a wary eye at the two of them. Mayu was still fast asleep even with all that chaos, obviously unharmed. The information broker tried to move, but only then did she realize that a cluster of black thorns were impending her movement. "Great, so if you go down, I do too?"