19 - Devils Never Cry

The powers proven to end the madness,
Upon I take it to end the savage.
The rays of light, a truth of meaning, 
To my father, the blood is pleading.

The crimson scythe tore cleanly through the body of a passing Zygote, the torn mass writhing on the ground. It wasn't given a chance to shriek or wail, the cells in its own body imploding and devouring one another until the Aragami was only a mess of carcass. Not the slightest trace of what it once was can even be recognized.

Mayu paid no attention to the event that transpired, her gaze only focused forward. She cut her way through more Aragami, neither side paying one another attention and simply willing to terminate anything that stands in the way.

Tough luck, she's not the one going down.

It seemed as though it wasn't her alone who felt the Demon's awakening. Aragami hordes striking within the vicinity of the Far East Branch had all retreated, and the ones near the area of Aegis Island had been fleeing, almost in panic.

Had she not been a God Eater, perhaps she would have done the same—listening only to her instincts and running away even at minimal scent of danger. An incoming Ogretail spotted her and charged straight towards the little blonde. Mayu didn't spare it a single returning glance, instead driving her blade right at the Aragami's mouth. The weapon was undeniably tougher than anticipated, effortlessly slicing through the beast's thick skull and all of its body.

She's not going to be stopped. She won't let herself be stopped.

Not with what are at risks here.

——

My chosen torture makes me stronger,
In a life that craves the hunger.
A freedom and a quest for life,
Until the end of the judgement night.

The halls felt agonizingly long. Yuka hadn't been to Aegis in a while, but she doesn't remember it feeling this huge that it takes forever to reach Hell's Stage™. There are multiple signals sprawled all over the facility—from the Demon, from Soma, from the Nova remnants being kept in the labs underneath—and they all send her senses to a frenzy. God, it only made focusing even harder.

Add the voice(s) resonating in her head to the list and she's absolutely bonkers.

To Soma... Get to Soma...」One cried.

The Demon... Run from the Demon...」The other whispered.

She wouldn't have a problem with their requests if they align, but they're asking her to do completely opposite things! Cut this girl a break! She only has one body and she can't split herself into two just to accommodate their wishes! Her journey down the familiar path continued, and Yuka decided to abide by the first voice's desires. This isn't the proper time to chicken out.

The blonde was just muttering about how thankful she was that she hasn't encountered any Aragami or other obstacles in her path. But apparently the thought alone could jinx the whole situation. It came in the form of a pulse, and Yuka's steps staggered. It seemed much more persistent than last time, chest tightening at the sensation. It would be proper to say it feels like her heart is about to burst but: 1) the pain is rather unbearable to even think straight and; 2) it's not like she has an actual heart anymore... right? And so, she could only clutch her chest, breathing heavily as her vision and stance both grew unstable.

Away...Run... Doll... Run away... 」By now, it was more of an order than a request.