17 - Resolution

"I need you to convince him to do something for me."

... It's the last option there is. If not this, there would only be a sliver of hope for them to rely on, and even with that, the chances are slim. Surely, it was utter bliss to walk the lands again, as herself and not a mess of tragedies given form, but this farce has to end. And if not through this, then only greater misfortunes await.

"He won't do it for me, or for anybody else... but if you ask it of him..."

Demi kept her eyes on the Devil, as though a mirror image staring from the other side of the glass. Neither of them had spoken, but the tension was still high in the air. The teal-haired girl was wearing a displeased frown, arms folded over her chest as she stared back at the other. Finally, she opened her mouth and her voice was heard, "What do you want now?"

"Nothing much," Demi replied, rather casual. "I'm only waiting for you to self-destruct. Judging from your nonchalance in how the situation is turning, it seems you're not quite aware of it yet."

"Alright, I bite. What is it you're trying to rub in my nose?"

"You are no longer an Apostle. In fact, you won't be a Nova-class Demon for very long either." It appeared to have gotten the Devil's attention, that she unfolded her arms, scowl deepening. Regardless, Demi continued to speak, "Sure, you do have my body, but I have the Apostle Seed, and without me or my... Dementia, you'll be falling apart. Well, no less than an Iris Seed, but it only means you won't be the invincible entity you thought you were before."

It was another minute of silence, before C's lips twisted back to their usual grin. She gave the other a shrug. "I hate to break it to you, but that kind of scaring tactic won't really work on me, I'm afraid."

A sigh escaped the other's lips. "You really choose to be this ignorant? The only reason you were 'invincible' is because we were bound together. Since you have my body, you'll retain my Vision, lost most of Dementia, and keep my appetite." The last of the words dwindled to a chuckle. "And since you've practically alienated everyone here, I doubt you're going to survive on your own, Devil of Fear. That body of mine would need to be fed, and when it comes that you're susceptible even to damage from the... lower classes, you won't really have much long, nor whatever 'power' made you fearsome to others." C had fallen silent, and yet their attention remained solely on one another's focus. The tension in the air only continued to rise. "You could try to anger to Death God, or perhaps Kismet alone. Your... Sunshine, of course, is a different case, having become a class of her own. She'd cause you losses beyond what you can fix."

"... What exactly is it that you're blabbering about now...?"

"Even someone like Kota could rip you a new one." This time, the grin surfaced on Demi's face, as it faded from C's. "In that kind of state, how will you survive? How are you going to hunt Dreadnoughts? For certain, not even Alyssum will pull favors for you, especially after the last stunt you pulled."

The Devil snorted, once again crossing her arms. "You talk like you are in a better situation."

"I've already reaped what I sow, thank you for reminding me of my mistakes. You are the biggest one after all." She watched the other shrug. "However, you still have no way out of your impending doom. You have no allies, no offense, no defense, no fallback plan, and you are going to starve. If not that, you will slip and someone will snap, and believe me, I will not enlighten them that you are no longer the invulnerable Devil that you once were. Aren't you curious? As to how pretty of a stain you'd make the next time the Death God clobbers you into the wall?"

Silence. Finally, the realization had struck the teal-haired girl as her expression shifted fittingly. Demi's grin grew at the sight, despite how hard C tried to keep herself composed. "You don't find this amusing now, do you?" She smirks. "Are you starting to feel the backlash of your actions?"