Asthma

Undyne's movements were smooth and swift as she extended the heavy barbell over her chest and then slowly eased it back down. A thin gleam of sweat covered her blue skin but she acted as if it were nothing, as if she weren't lifting two hundred pounds of weight.

I shook my head at her inhuman strength. I was struggling just to keep lifting the eight-pound dumbbells. Undyne had told me, "Since you're my pet and will be working with us, you have to gain strength. You look so weak!" on afterthought, "Punk." I wasn't keen on being her pet, or working with her in the prison, but since I was stuck here for a while, I might as well learn to survive. Thinking about getting out filled me with determination and I found the strength to keep lifting.

I was sitting on Undyne's bench, by her legs. Alphis sat next to me, sweetly humming a tune while lost in thought.

"Hey?" She tapped on my overworked arms softly.

"Yes Alphis?" I didn't dare stop lifting while talking. If I did, I might not be able to start again.

"I...I never did ask you y...your name," she wrung her hands in embarrassment.

"Who cares?" Undyne muttered with a concentrated scowl while pushing the barbell up again.

"I'm sorry," I said to Alphis as if it were my fault. I was trying to make her feel better. "My name is Frisk."

"That's an interesting name," Alphis smiled at me.

I smiled back. "Yes it is but so is yours." She blushed and looked down at her feet. Undyne scowled and I thought she felt left out. "And yours to Undyne."

"Shut up! Don't distract me punk!" she barked, doing another rep. I decided not to let her attitude get to me.

"How do we get the key?" Alphis asked Undyne. She didn't stutter when she spoke to Undyne. Alphis's voice was still soft and quiet but never shy as far as Undyne was concerned.

"Pet's gonna snatch it," she said through clenched teeth.

"Key for what?" I asked curiously.

"The key to the...the medicine cabinet." Alphis looked at Undyne to confirm it was okay to tell me.

"Why?" I didn't understand what they would need it for.

Undyne growled and set the barbell back in its place. Sitting up, she looked at me. "We need Alphis's inhaler. She has asthma."

I cocked my head. " Is it bad? Why don't you have the inhaler now?"

Alphis shrugged, still looking at her feet as if the were more interesting than us. I touched her arm gently.

"Medicine is pretty valuable here, and Alphis is a scientist, which means we could sell it for weapons or Alphis could turn it into one so the warden keeps it away," Undyne explained.

"But she needs it. Surely the warden doesn't think you guys would sell something so important. It's the difference between her life and..." I trailed off.

"Glad to see you care," Undyne muttered sarcastically, "The warden has a guard bring it if she feels unwell but as you can tell," she gestured to Alphis, "she's to shy to ask and the guards don't believe me when I tell them."

"That's cruel." I set the dumbbell down and kicked some rocks on the concrete. I already didn't like the warden.

"Yeah you got that right punk. The warden is a bigheaded guy. All he said when I complained was..." she stood up and took up a mocking position. " 'If it's a problem, don't let her exercise. You're not getting the med.'" Undyne raised a fist at someone staring at her and then sat back down.

"Okay so how do I get the key?" I asked nervously.

"He's keeping it in his pocket now. He must of seen me l...looking for it," Alphis mumbled.

I nodded. "So how do I get close enough to the warden?"

"Simple, punk. He meets with every new inmate to go over the rules and other garbage." Undyne rolled her eyes in disgust, remembering her visit with him. She put her chin in her hand and started to tap her eye patch. He voice took a different tone, significant, serious, "We need that med Pet. Last time Alphis had an asthma attack..." she scraped her lip, "she almost died." Undyne was chocking on fury and bitterness as she said this.

I noticed Alphis looked scared. Not of Undyne, she was scared for her life. This filled me with determination. "I will get the key," I stressed what I said. Alphis looked at me, thankfulness spelled over her face. Even Undyne, who was always exposing her teeth in a grimace, looked at me with a grateful expression.

Undyne chuckled, dark and deep, "You're a good Pet." I guess it was a complement.

"When will he call for me?" I asked her thoughtfully, running through scenarios in my mind.

"I don't know. There have been a lot of new prisoners lately. Maybe a week?" Undyne shrugged, still tapping her eye patch.

We all sat thinking. "Do you no which pocket?" I asked Alphis.

"Umm.... the...the left I think. I'm sorry, I don't know," she put her face in her hands.

I put a hand on her should, "It's alright. I'll just check both," I said cheerily. It wouldn't have mattered anyways. He probably doesn't keep the key in the same pocket everyday anyways. It just couldn't have hurt to ask.

Undyne nudged Alphis with her shoulder. "You all right?"

"Yeah. Just tiered."

"I know," Undyne groaned. "I wished I could give every prisoner who talks a fat lip so they'd learn to shut up."

I giggled. I wasn't a fan of violence but I decided to take as a joke. I wasn't super sensitive about most things. Except family, I could snap real easily at that.

All our heads snapped up when the yelling started. A fight had broken out. The prisoners quickly formed a ring around the two men, one human and one monster. The crowd threw one of them back into the ring when he tried to escape. This agitated him and he turned and punched one of the specters in the nose.

I heard a crack and felt the tension shimmer through the air. Knowing it was a bad mistake, he backed away from the prisoner. Who ever he punched had been important, obviously, because the entire yard broke out into a fight.

Undyne grabbed Alphis and I and we escaped the back fence. There were some other disinterested prisoners with us but I didn't pay them any attention. Instead, I watched the fight in sick horror as men and women, monsters and humans, attack each other violently, like animals.

Alphis was hiding behind Undyne, who was grinning widely as she watched it all go down.

It felt like hours, watching people get shanked and punched, but it was realistically only one minute. Soon armed guards flooded the yard in a giant black swarm. It was like seeing gigantic, black bees swarm out of a hive. They pulled prisoners off of each other and throwing them to the ground. Some of the prisoners turned and attacked the guards but not many. Soon everyone was on the ground, including us.

The guards pointed guns at everyone's head and yelled for everyone to stay still. I jumped slightly as the glass doors from the prison slammed open. I knew immediately who it was...the warden.

He looked around at all of us in complete revulsion. Walking to the center of the yard, the tall monster looked around and yelled, "Does anyone want to tell me who started this?" He scowled when no one answered. "That's fine. You animals are obviously not rats. So, no yard time and meal time is now cut to twenty minutes until some one comes forward!" I winced at his words. Undyne cursed.

I looked over at her and saw something new. She looked worried, maybe even scared.

"Get them out of my sight!" He ordered the guards, turning on his heel. He marched back into the prison. I was not looking forward to a meeting with him.