Chapter 4

Chapter 4

When someone you love becomes a memory...that memory becomes a treasure

" I swear that boy is going to be the death of me." Aspen said pacing back and forth across the room. Anakin and Obi-wan had gone after the assassin that had tried to kill the senator the night before, and after hearing about everything that Anakin had done she was ready to strangle the boy; he had jumped off of a moving speeder for crying out loud.

She could hear Anakin and Padme talking in the next room, and did her best not to eavesdrop, but it was difficult; she didn't like the way they acted toward each other.  She wished that Anakin would be open with her like he was with Padme, that he would trust her; it was what she was there for after all.

She came to a stop as they came out of the room, and her eyes narrowed when she saw the look in Anakin's eye as he smiled toward Padme. She trailed behind them like a shadow, before shrinking and climbing into Anakin's pocket with an annoyed huff.

When they reached Naboo, Aspen chose to walk along side them, avoiding Anakin's gaze the whole way, before waiting outside while Anakin went inside with Padme to speak with the new queen.

When they came back, they made the journey to Padme's home. She had rushed inside to get a good look at the house, leaving the two of them to talk but when she came back out she saw a sight that caused her to freeze in the doorway; Anakin and Padme were locked in a kiss.

Aspen said nothing as she stared at them and after a moment, she shook her head and walked with tears burning in her eyes. Why did she feel this way.

As the days passed, Aspen spent most of her time alone while she tried to avoid the two of them; both apparently unaware of her absence. She was sure that they had forgotten all about her, until Anakin approached her and told her that they need to return home; Shmi was endanger. 

**********

Aspen frowned as she peaked out of Anakin's pocket. Sensing her worry, he looked down at her. " We will find her, Aspen."

" I should have never left her, I should have stayed and watched over her like I was supposed to."

" You were only doing what you were told, Aspen." Padme said and Aspen shook her head. " I wasn't just doing as I was told, I'm unable to disobey when it comes to the wishes of my charges, even if it means that they die, or worse." She explained. " Just as the Jedi do, we have sacred laws that must be followed without question. I have no choice but to follow them."

" That's terrible." Padme said but Aspen didn't respond as they approached the home of the man who had not only married Shmi, but freed her from slavery.

A young man met them as they descended the stairs and introduced himself as Anakin's stepbrother, Owen before introducing his girlfriend to them. Anakin asked for Cliegg, and a man in a wheel chair appeared to greet them before leading inside to talk. Aspen climbed out of Anakin's pocket and Cliegg glanced at her unsurprised as she sat down on the table top to listen. Cliegg explained that Shmi had been abducted by raised over a month before while she was out gathering mushrooms; Cliegg would have gone after her if his leg had allowed. There was very little chance that she was still alive.

" I knew I should have stayed." Aspen said under her breath as Anakin went outside to think. " If I had stayed, I could have protected her."

" You were honoring her wishes." Padme said and Aspen shook her head before climbing off the table. " I'm going for a walk, If you need me I'll know."

She was gone a second later.