You Can Go Home Again

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Three Months Later

As Desi pulled into the familiar driveway in her rental car, she couldn't help the excitement she felt. She had decided to take a break from writing and give herself a well-deserved mini-vacation back home. She got out of the car and took a deep breath, relishing in the calm of the old farm. Desi walked up and sat down on the porch to wait for everyone to get home from church. Her flight had gotten in earlier than she had first anticipated, and while she could go on in the house and get comfortable, she was quite enjoying the breeze on the veranda style front porch. 

Desi checked her phone and saw that she had a text from Idris, asking if she had gotten to the house alright, along with a picture of him and Tom goofing around on set. She snickered as she texted him back, telling him that she had gotten home fine and not to work too hard. He and Tom were currently in L.A. for the filming of Infinity Wars and one or the other was always sending her silly pictures. Even though they'd been dating for months now, it seemed like Idris and Desi were still more friends than lovers. They hadn't even slept together yet, a fact that bothered her somewhat, but he seemed fine with it for the moment. 

She didn't have time to dwell on that though because just then her sister's car came screeching to a halt right in front of the porch steps. Before Desi could get up out of the rocking chair, she was out of the car and jumping onto the porch to grab her older sister up in a bear hug.

"Oh my god, I can't believe you're here! Why didn't you tell us you were coming? We would have skipped church."

Desi laughed as she pulled back from Hes to greet the rest of the family, her dad having pulled in right after Hester. "I wanted to surprise everyone, that's why. You know Gran wouldn't miss church."

The old woman in question was wiping her eyes as she kissed her oldest grandchild on the cheek. "I might have made an exception for you, little girl. My aren't you a sight for sore eyes! Let me get a good look at you." She drew back and eyed Desi critically for a moment before smiling and chuckling to herself. "Well, I guess London is doing alright by you. I might come out there and visit myself sometime." She hugged Desi close to her for a moment, whispering in her ear before letting her go. "I have missed this face. It's good to have you home, Desi."

Desi received hugs from the rest of the brood before Gran announced that they needed to go inside for lunch. She snatched Hester's youngest, Morgan, from Scott and cradled her to her chest as they walked into the house. Desi sat down in the old rocking chair in the corner of the living room as everyone else went to either change clothes or get lunch ready, rocking the baby and speaking softly in her ear. "I'm your Auntie Desi, and I'm the best aunt you'll ever have, even better than Auntie Emily, but don't tell her I said that. I'm going to teach you how to throw a baseball and take you to ballet. I'm going to get you out of going to piano practice with Miss Prudence because she's a hateful old spinster who's only nice to her cats. We're going to have so much fun together, you and I." 

Desi looked up to see Hester watching her with a smile on her face as she shook her head. "Now, why would you promise my innocent child all of that when you live in London now?"

Desi shrugged and smiled at her sister. "I may move back home, you never know what's in store."

Hes just shook her head at her. "No, you belong in London. You're thriving there. How's the writing going? How's Idris? Why didn't he come?"

"He's filming right now and just couldn't take the time away. My writing is going pretty well. I'm working on my second draft for my editor."

Hester snuck a glance at her as she took the now-sleeping baby from her arms. "And Tom? How is he?"

Desi sighed. "He's well."

She smirked at Her sister's answer and nodded. "I'm sure he is. We'll talk about that later. Right now, Gran has lunch just about ready."

Desi headed for the kitchen as she got the distinct feeling that she was just saved from execution.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Mind telling me what your problem is today? You haven't done anything right since we got here this morning."

Tom sighed as Idris sat down beside him while they waited for the next scene to be set. "I don't really know. I just feel off for some reason. Have you heard from Desi? Did she make it home alright?"

Idris grinned as he took a long sip from a bottle of water before answering. "Yeah, she made it in just fine. I think you worry about my girlfriend more than I do."

Tom blushed under his direct glance. "I'm sorry, honestly. It's just that she's my friend and I want to make sure she's safe, that's all. You're the one she loves."

Idris waved him off. "Oh, I know. I'm just taking the piss." He paused, looking down at his feet. "I don't know if you realize this or not, but initially, I started dating Desi as a way to get at you, because I knew you were interested in her, and I really did want to get to know her better, but now... I don't know. I like her, a lot, but love? I don't think we're there, and I don't know that we ever will be."

Tom stared at him in shock and anger. "You... seriously? You don't love her but you kept me away from her because... " He shook his head. "She's not in love with me, Idris. We're friends, that's all."

He nodded, grinning. "Yeah, that's what you both say, but you don't see what the rest of us sees. It's not fair of me to stand in the way of the two of you. Even if you never get together, it won't be because I got between you. I'm going to break it off with her when she and I are both back in London. Then whatever happens between you will happen naturally."

Tom just nodded absently, trying to absorb everything he had just told me. He should be angry with him, but Tom knew that they'd always been competitive with each other, and if he were going to be honest, he would have probably done the same to Idris. Ok, maybe he wouldn't have kept it going for as long as Idris did, but that's neither here nor there. Tom just hoped that he was right, and Desi didn't have feelings for him.