Chapter 5

Weeks passed and the Mikaelsons had noticed a distinctly introverted Helena. She only came out of her room or the library to eat and only spoke when she had to. She wrote the occasional letter in the privacy of her room to Teddy, but severed all contact to her other friends. She was punishing herself for what had happened.

Rebekah barged into the library. "Get up." She commanded.

Helena looked up tiredly. She hadn't been sleeping well, more nightmares flooding through. "What, Rebekah?" She sighed.

"We are going shopping for costumes. It's almost Halloween. Klaus even agreed."

"No thank you." She didn't want to leave the plantation again. This was her safety area. And the prospect of celebrating Halloween: the day her life was forever torn apart by Voldemort, sounded less than appealing.

"Enough wallowing. You're baby is fine. Time to get up."

"I don't want to leave, especially not for Halloween." Helena sighed.

Rebekah sat next to her on the floor. "Why not. You would have jumped at the opportunity weeks ago?"

"Because I almost got my child killed. I'm no better than Sirius." She cried out and stormed out of the library, passing two more surprised brothers.

Elijah went upstairs with Helena's lunch and knocked on her door.

"Come in." A soft voice called.

"Hungry, Helena?" He asked. He crossed the room and put the tray next to her on the made bed, before sitting stiffly down. "Is everything alright."

She smiled tightly. "Thank you for lunch, Elijah." She said dismissively.

Another day passed, and Helena grew more evasive. She was sitting against one of the coffins in a secret tunnel in the plantation house, hoping none of the Vampires would be able to find her. She supposed she should be a little more disturbed being surrounded by coffins, but it wasn't like she was looking at the dead bodies, and even then, she'd seen more than enough bodies to keep her from wigging out.

"Hey." Klaus approached her.

"Hey." She watched as Klaus sat down next to her.

"Rebekah said you turned down her offer to go shopping for Halloween costumes."

"What's the point? I won't be leaving here anyways."

Klaus hesitated a moment and sighed. "I'll take you out. If you stay close to me or my siblings, I don't see a problem that could arise."

"I don't want to lose it." She said so softly Klaus had to strain to here.

"I'll make sure you two are safe." He took her hand.

"Thank you." She squeezed his hand. "I'm in my second trimester." She kept her eyes on her hands.

Klaus smiled softly. "Yes." He brought their hands to his mouth and kissed her knuckles. "Eighteen weeks, if I remember correctly."

"You remember?" Helena was pleasantly surprised and looked up at him.

"Of course." He said fondly.

"Why do you want the quarter back?" She asked suddenly.

"Because it's the only place my family has ever felt whole." He admitted.

Klaus was surprised when Helena's lips suddenly crashed against his. He moved her to be sitting on top of him, his lips moving fervently to meet hers. Klaus stopped when Helena gasped.