7: All The Elves

Word of the elf twins' presence traveled fast through the small village. The reception was somewhat more jovial for Elrond's sons, than Legolas's initial reception had been. Children threw themselves with abandon at the twin's waists, eager to give and receive hugs. Nerwen, the tall dark-haired woman with bowstring calluses on her fingers greeted both the twins with a warm embrace, before narrowing her eyes and demanding to know where Elladan had picked up the cut on his neck.

A hand landed on Legolas's shoulder and the ever-alert elf nearly elbowed Strider as he whirled about.

"It seems a rearrangement of accommodations is required. That cabin is barely large enough to comfortably house two, let alone three. You can share lodgings in my home for however long you choose." When Legolas opened his mouth to protest as such an intrusion, Strider held up a hand to forestall such a thing.

Their sharp ears brought Elladan and Elrohir into the conversation, finally extracting themselves from the last of the children's' embraces.

"Has our arrival evicted you from your quarters?" Elrohir asked, tossing his head in the direction of the small cabin at the edge of the village.

"Not at all, I am the interloper in what has previously been your home here." Legolas waved a hand dismissively. "Strider was actually just kindly offering me lodging with him, so that you and your brother may take back your place."

"Then in that case, the least we can do is to help you gather your things." With a cheerful grin, Elladan turned and started away down the road. Elrohir, fast on his brother's heels, was equally deaf to Legolas's protest that he only had a few items, and assistance was not necessary. With a sigh, Legolas could only follow after the twins back toward the cabin.

The door stood open when he arrived, and shutting it behind him, Legolas was surprised to see both Elladan and Elrohir standing with their arms folded facing him. Their identical expressions were at the same time mildly amused and interrogative.

"So, Thranduilion...When are you intending to tell Estel just who you really are?" Elrohir spoke in a voice that would not tolerate denial.

Legolas didn't know what he had been hoping for. Of course, Elrond's sons would hear his name and know immediately who his father was. After a moment of silence, Legolas raised his chin with eyes revealing nothing. "I am not the only one in this village whose identity is not entirely known, it seems. How is it that a mortal man carries an elvish name, 'Estel'?"

The twins would have none of that. Narrowing his gaze, Elladan fired back. "Estel is given the name of Hope because that is what he is to Men. To say more is not our right, but his."

"I am surprised though, Prince of the Greenwood, that you have not puzzled out Estel's true identity already. Do the scholars of Thranduil's realm not linger on the bloodlines of Men at all in their lessons? Was no care given to the Chieftains of the Dúnedain and their lineage in your education?" The corner of Elrohir's mouth quirked upward sarcastically.

Face burning, Legolas had to work hard to keep his expression placid. In truth, Thranduil did not care much for the comings and goings of mortals, and so had not given instruction for his son to be versed in any but the most noteworthy of Second Age bloodlines of the Edain. Legolas found himself faced with the unpleasant revelation that his father's isolationist views had impacted his own knowledge of the Middle Earth.

The shame must have shown on his face, for the expressions of Elladan and Elrohir softened. "Ai, I am sorry prince." Elladan spoke softly, understanding in his grey eyes. "We do not know life in the Halls of the Greenwood, and cannot judge what knowledge your life has and has not called for thus far."

Finding his voice, Legolas raised his chin defiantly. "Indeed, you do not know life in my father's kingdom. That is why I am here, under guise of anonymity. It was my choice not to reveal my rank to Strider...Estel upon my arrival." He shook his head. "Deem it withholding if you will, but I wished to be known for myself only, for a time at least."

"Be that as it may, Estel still deserves to know." Elrohir said. "Remember, he has extended the hospitality of his people and now his own house to you."

"I know," replied Legolas simply. "And I will tell him. But just as Strider's true name is his own to reveal, my status is also my own personal information." He gathered his things.

As he opened the door to leave, a figure bounded into the room and threw her arms around Elladan with a squeal of joy. Wren then did the same to Elrohir.

"Muthinel nín, we looked for you when we arrived, but you were nowhere to be found!'

"I was out hunting your dinner with Nerwen. How else would we feed all our elf Lords?" she said with mischief in her eyes.

Legolas was still aghast at Wren being called 'little sister' in Elvish by the twins and being hugged so affectionately, that the potential jibe almost passed him by. Elladan however caught hold of it and smiled knowingly at Legolas.

"All the elf Lords, surely you don't mean to include Legolas as well?" Before anyone could respond, he added with a mock sigh and a smile, "I hope Wren has treated you well since your arrival Legolas. Her mischievous sense of humor can be tiresome".

Wren made a move to box his ear, but he stayed her hand. Then she noticed the cut on his neck and exclaimed in alarm.

"It's okay Wren," said Elladan, fending her examination off, "Your mother has already seen it, she said I can clean it myself."

Wren looked relieved, and then with her eyes twinkling said warmly, "How I have missed you both." Legolas had to keep himself from opening his mouth. Never had he seen such a display of affection and ease between a mortal and elves.

As she looked around the small room, she smiled and said with raised eyebrows, "Surely you are not all going to share the same beds tonight?"

"I was taking my leave as you entered," said Legolas, seeing his moment to escape as he took a step out the door.

"Just one thing Legolas, a favor if you will..." Elladan called out the door, as he poured some water out from his flask onto a cloth and started dabbing at the dried blood on his neck. "Try to save that sword of yours for orcs whilst we are here!"

-0-0-0-0-0-

*Edain ~ Human

*Muthinel nín ~ my sister

What are your current suspicions about Wren and her connection with the Elladan and Elrohir? I would love to receive your comments and PLEASE vote on this chapter if you enjoyed it. Each vote and comment helps the wider circulation of my story, I really appreciate them!

DEDICATION Cairo1973 : For being my first Wattpad recommended reader! Thank you for faithfully reading and voting!