11: A Request

The next few weeks passed pleasantly enough, marked by an almost uncharacteristic warming in Fornost. It seemed that winter had fallen prey to spring in the northern lands. The remaining snowdrifts turned to slush and the frost melted away. Clumps of pale Niphredil, snowdrops, poked their sleepy heads out of the hard earth after their winter slumber. The spate of good humor the spring had brought with it, appeared to work in Legolas's favor; the Dúnedain seemed to be accepting him by measured degrees with each passing day. The Sindarin elf could still feel eyes occasionally on his shoulders, but he found himself almost enjoying the unexpected freedom this sojourn away from his own people, had granted him.

During that time, the Legolas occasionally noticed Wren's interactions with Strider, the elves and the villagers. However, as he did not want to catch her quick eye again, he made every effort to be discrete. The barrier that he had erected between them, had largely disappeared following their shared revelations, and had instead been replaced with a new respect and understanding. She still made fun of him whenever she could, daring him to take offense, but Legolas was learning that the easiest way to deflect it, was to laugh with her. Although the age-old pride that had taken root in the elf prince, was at times, hard to suppress.

Legolas accompanied the Rangers on patrol regularly and became increasingly impressed at their skills, such as hunting and tracking, that the Rangers routinely displayed. He happened to mention his observations to Strider late one evening while they were retiring in their cabin by the fire, after a meal. Strider smiled in appreciation at the elf's praise.

Strider gazed at the dying embers of the fire, deep in thought and then said with a twinkle in his eye, "Perhaps you have something new to teach them Legolas. I am sure they have had more than enough teaching from Beringil and myself, and would appreciate a fresh face."

Legolas eyes widened in surprise at the request. Strider laughed heartily.

"Legolas, your legend precedes you. Do you think I have not heard the tales told of your skill, and witnessed some of it with my own eyes? Please consider training some of the younger Rangers such as Rodorin, Faolán and Wren. They would all benefit enormously from some additional training." He paused thoughtfully. "Particularly Wren. She is a willing and fast learner, eager to acquire more skills.  Though on reflection, what she would really benefit from learning from you, is composure in the heat of battle; her enthusiasm and pride has occasionally led to rash actions. I think you more than most, would be able to teach her this. But all things considered, I think you would do them all much good."

Later in the day, Legolas ventured out alone into the forest for a walk to wrestle with Strider's request. The wind was blowing lightly through the trees, reminding him of the Greenwood. A memory of Tauriel drifted passed him. Legolas sighed quietly, and resigned himself to being haunted by the coppery-haired Silvan elf. He wondered if his father had allowed her to resume her duties as Captain of the Guard, he hoped this was the case. As increasing, more painful, memories of her and his father flooded his mind and began to trouble him, he resolved to make his way back to the village to seek out a distraction.

As he neared the edge of the forest, a figure suddenly appeared out of nowhere and took step beside him. Ordinarily Legolas would have been startled and drawn his bow, however his time spent with the Dúnedain in recent weeks, allowed him no cause for alarm. In particular, he had made enough observations to recognize Wren's tracking methods and he had begun distinguish her footsteps, light though they were. She was a skilled and stealthy tree climber, almost squirrel-like in her speed and agility. More often than not, if she had detected someone approaching, she would climb up a specially selected tree, and would wait for them to pass, in deadly silence, barely breathing. Then she would slip down to surprise them from the rear. Or alternatively, shoot them in the head if they were an orc or goblin, he presumed.

Without breaking his step and without looking at her, he said with a smile, "Do you delight in startling people, Wren?"

She chuckled. "Oh yes, elf lord. I am just disappointed that you are no longer susceptible to my tracking and entrapment skills. I have been waiting over an hour for you to return and you did not even flinch."

Legolas laughed softly. It was getting easier to laugh here with the Dúnedain. The courts of his father, King Thranduil's, had been a cold place with little joy or laughter to be heard. The people here laughed often, Wren more than most. She laughed at others, at herself and particularly at him. He realized he might actually be beginning to enjoy the sound of it.

"It's good to hear you laugh, Legolas" she said using his name, which she only did very infrequently. "Sometimes I wonder how it is possible to live so long and still find joy."

Legolas wondered too. Evidently he had forgotten until recently. They walked in companionable silence, side by side, back to the village.

As they neared the village, Wren turned her head and she looked at him and he noticed the intensity of her eyes as she said, "Strider mentioned you were considering training us..."

Clearly, this is why she had been sitting in a tree for up to an hour, thought Legolas.

"Yes, I have been mulling it over. But I am guessing that you, in particular, would probably be a more difficult pupil than Strider has led me to believe."

She looked at him, trying to read his eyes, her own twinkling. "Oh yes, most difficult. What could an old elf like you teach me anyway?"

This time Legolas really laughed.

"We start at the break of dawn tomorrow, in the clearing near the elm trees."

"That's too early elf lord; I have to wash my hair!" Her face coming alive with mischief as she turned to leave him.

"Be there. And leave your impertinence behind!"

She threw her head back and laughed loudly as she made her way back to her cabin in the village. Legolas shook his head, a wry but relaxed smile on his face as he watched her leave.

-0-0-0-0-0-

How else could a mortal have snuck up on the elf prince with ease in the first chapter...? Is Legolas's demeanor melting with the spring? I would love to receive your comments and PLEASE vote on this chapter if you enjoyed it. Each vote and comment help the wider circulation of my story, I really appreciate them!

DEDICATION IamTheNightWalker :  For reading my story backwards 😉 and laughing and commenting all the way!