2:13 Baubles and Secrets

The further north they traveled, the more of winter they found still clinging to the land. Nights became cold once more that such that Legolas found himself mourning the absence of fire, when he was not lying alongside his wife. One bitterly cold night while he was on watch, even Elrohir came by and unceremoniously tossed a blanket at him. Legolas was finding the Peredhil twins to be both kind and protective beneath their copious layers of wit. The brothers watched carefully over the rangers as they traveled through that forsaken land, which made sense when one considered that the twins were old enough to have known Beringil's great-great grandfather. But Legolas did not feel any need to envy the depth of Elladan and Elrohir's relationship with the Dúnedain, as the rangers had all finally welcomed Legolas into the fold. Travel and danger had a way of forging trust between strangers, as did marriage to one of their own, he presumed.

On the eve of their third week, Legolas was out scouting with a few of the other Dúnedain when they discovered an abandoned orc lair. Ducking under the sharp overhanging lip of the cave, Legolas, Wren, Rodorin and Kaelin had gone inside to scout. A quick search had determined that the lair's previous owners had long since left. Rodorin discovered a crude cloth bag beneath a stone and upon turning it over, a dozen rings rolled across the cave floor.

Kneeling, Legolas frowned as he plucked up a bronze ring. "Strange...orcs are not usually inclined to loot?"

"No, they don't have any use for baubles." Confirmed Rodorin, his voice echoing slightly in the dank space. "It's unlikely that these were taken for their value though..."

"Why then?" Setting the ring down with a muted 'clink' on the stone, Legolas stood, taking care not to hit his head on the cavern ceiling.

"They were searching for one ring in particular, some years ago. Well before Strider was born, actually."

"Rodorin..." Kaelin said warningly. Clearly too much was being said about something.

"Really Kaelin..." Rodorin broke in. "I am sure Wren has already told him all he needs to know." He threw Wren a questioning look.

Wren shrugged and held out her hands, "Actually I haven't told him anything, because he hasn't asked..."

Rodorin was surprised, clearly he thought pillow talk between the pair had no exceptions. "Well he should know, he is one of us now..." Before anyone had a chance to disagree, Rodorin began, his voice travelling through the dark. "Thirty odd years ago, to hear my mother tell it, the orcs were getting particularly active in the area, attacking travelers and sacking villages more aggressively than usual. It was as if they were searching for something..."

"Fine, you can answer to Strider when we return then!" Kaelin snapped, turning on her heel and stalking out of the cavern. "Or Beringil first, if you prefer." She called back, displeasure ringing clearly in the echo.

Shrugging, Rodorin went on. "Don't mind her Legolas. I think we owe it to you..."

Wren stood with her arms folded, she seemed undecided on the appropriate course of action.

"If this has to do with Strider's true name, then perhaps you should not." Legolas interrupted, holding up a hand. "Your faith honors me, but is it not Strider's right to reveal this information when or if he chooses?"

For a moment, Rodorin looked slightly crestfallen. Then, he nodded and half-smiled. "Aye...you're right. If Strider were here, he'd most likely tell you himself. And if he doesn't once we return, then I most certainly will!" This declaration brought Wren's eyebrows up.

"Again, we'll leave that in Strider's hands." Legolas smiled, touched that the young ranger would think so much of him.

As they made for the entrance to the cave, Rodorin sounded almost apologetic. "It's just that... if word got out into the wrong ears, there would be those who would almost certainly try to hunt Strider down. Most likely the whole village would be at risk too."